• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

html 5 output greater than character

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting question marks for some characters in my HTML 5 output.  Some of the characters are ≤ and β. These characters are supported in HTML 5.  Is there there some reason that they are not converting or being represented correctly in HTML5 output?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are they in? Maybe that's the issue when converted to HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are in Times New Roman, is there a font that will work with these characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Unicode vintage of TNR populates U+2264 and U+03B2, per the Win7 system I run.

The legacy version of it (probably pre Windows XP) probably doesn't.

Of course, with HTML, there's a dependency on the viewing system fonts, and whether the browser there checks for missing codepoints, and does silent substitutions, or just tosses ?s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you are trying to explain.  FrameMaker creates a Responsive HTML5 output.  It places the '?' into the html files it generates.  I don't if that clarifies anything but it does sounds like you are onto something.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually seeing the question mark characters in the raw HTML (opened in a text editor, not a browser)? If so, then that implies that FM is doing some font conversion when it creates the HTML, if not, then it means that your browser is substituting the codepoint on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The questions marks are in the actual HTML files.  Is there something that I can do about this font conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are they added in the FM content to begin with? That might give a clue as to why they are being filtered out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt codes where used. I am not getting this problem on a different computer could it have been the fonts on that system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not getting the issue in the output when using another machine? That definitely indicates a font issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I make a new post about a font issue?  Is there something I can read or look into to try to solve this font issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What ALT codes did you use to create the symbols that are misbehaving? I can try duplicating it to see what's going on..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concur with Jeff that unpopulated codepoints in the font are the most likely explanation.

Are the codes points U+2264 for the ≤ and U+03B2 for the β?

If not, then you have the [further] problem of using an overlay/codepage font. Historically, these characters were rendered by applying the "Symbol" font to code points \xa3 and \x62, but I'd expect the render-fail to show them as £ and b in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines