• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink from BACK TO TOP or TOP graphic to the TOC

Participant ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On every page of a new topic I have a right-aligned graphic that says TOP. I want to link this graphic to a TOC marker.  I have tried to created every marker I can think of for the TOC and have also attempted to create the icon as a hotspot, but the Marker Name does not show up in the Hotspot  text field when I select the TOC file.

I just want the end user to be able to navigate back to the TOC by clicking on the icon that is on all topic (Heading1First) pages.

defaultcbj1p6qywajq_0-1652901881083.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the graphics positioned on master pages? If they are, the won't show in the TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they are not on masterpages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. My suggestion would be to create a second text flow, where you have the graphics and the text which is to go into the TOC. The graphic alone can not generate a toc line, as the toc is based on building blocks on the reference pages. If you create a secondary text flow however, you can insert texts and graphics and have the appear in the toc based on paragraph styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry!  You have it all wrong. It as quitting time but I will reply tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icon (image called TOP) is supposed to a marker created for the TOC title. All I am trying to do is click on the icon and jump to the TOC title marker, but I have not found the solution, yet. Your explanation is not what I am looking for the function to do. There is no graphic in the TOC. The graphic (icon) is placed to the right of  every topic title in the manual. The purpose is to hyperlink to the TOC when clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

OK. All is explained in the online help.

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/user-guide/frm_graphics_gr-topic_grap...

What you have to do:

In the TOC in the heading add a hypertext marker with Insert | Hypertext. In the Hypertext pod select Specify Named Destination. In the newlink line add a unique text, e.g. TOC_marker.

In your file where you want to have the graphic open the master page view. Insert a graphics file in the top right margin of the page, outside of any text frame. Right-click on this graphic and select Hotspot Properties. Select your TOC file as destination document. In the list of available markers there should also be your new hypertext marker. Select it and save.

Then go to the body page view. When you press CTRL+ALT hover over the graphic. The cursor should change to a pointer. When you click the TOC opens at the marker location.

I just tested this, and it works.

Is this what you want to do?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winfried, it appears you have it backwards. If I add a hypertext marker in the TOC, I am not going from the TOC to a page, I am going from the TOP icon (image) TO the TOC.  In other words, this TOP icon is placed in the body text to the right of each topic (job type) name. I want the user to click on the icon and jump to the TOC, not the other way around.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The user clicks on the icon in the body text and jumps to the TOC title.

Still I do not understand what you want to do.

The TOC already has the feature to jump from the TOC to the corresponding body page.

Or do you want to jump from the body page not to the title of the TOC, but to the heading in the TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latter. I want to jump from body page to TOC destination.  I have created Hyperlink Specify Name Designation in the TOC as TOC, then tried to create the Jump to Named Destination from the image icon, but I keep getting "No insertion point."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very small example. It this what you are looking for?

https://framemaker.dk/testofgraphiclinks.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I notice you have the image in the margin and not in the body text. So what are the steps involved to create this, with the info graphic in the body text?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphic is supposed to reside in an anchored frame in the bodytext?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the idea, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a loose text frame to the TOC and in that text frame I have added a hyperlink named destination.

In the body text I have inserted an anchored frame with a position outside of text frame. Inside that anchored frame is a graphic and on that graphic is a hotspot which links to the named destination in the toc. We have to use a loose text frame in the toc to prevent it from being overwritten as Winfried says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My description above works regardless of whether you insert the hypertext marker in the TOC title or somewhere in the TOC.

However, as soon as you update the TOC these markers will get deleted.

And of course it's all manual.

If you want an automated solution, you have to ask one of the ExtendScript developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm So, if I add any Specify Named Destination marker to the TOC title, it gets deleted on TOC update. That's not what happened.  I updated the TOC and book and the marker was not deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be wrong 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you add markers in the dynamic text of the TOC, then these markers will get deleted when you update the book.

FrameMaker deletes all this text and creates it anew. Of course without any manual changes before.

When you add a marker to the static TOC title, then this marker will be kept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May not be the simplest solution, but I think I am going to convert to PDF, since the online documents is PDF, anyway.  Then I will link the images to the TOC. It is a manual process, but once done, it's permanent. Apparently, I have to follow StudioSm's solution. Of course, if I create a Word doc, I will have to create the same manual links, but both PDF and Word links do work.  I have already tested them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wll keep this info for testing, Winfried. Actually, am not sure this is simpler than just adding links in the PDF. I can create a link from the graphic to the TOC in about 5-7 seconds in Acrobat. So, what I did was convert the Frame file to PDF and then added the hypertext makers. However, I will still test the Frame method to see which is easier and faster to accomplish the links.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines