• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have to change color of some FM chapter titles for Acrobat to include them in PDF bookmarks...

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a problem with some bookmarks being incomplete (e.g., "Appendix X" is omitted)--the rest of the tag processes normally. They process just fine in FM--they are just missing the "Appendix X" part in Acrobat. In FM, the part that is omitted is autonumbered.

In FM, the affected appendix titles (actually most chapter titles) are in white over a colored rectangle that is in the master page(s). If I change the color of the text (e.g., to CMYK 0, 0, 1, 0), the titles are processed into bookmarks in the PDF. If I change them back to 0, 0, 0, 0, they are once again omitted.

Bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would consider this a bug. Are you specifying a named color like "White" or something else? I would experiment with creating a custom color and making it 0, 0, 0, 0 and using that. Maybe if FrameMaker or Acrobat sees it as a custom color, it will preserve it in the bookmark. Or experiment with making the color Spot, Process, or RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this is related to an issue I reported last year. I had added some "invisible" autonumbering at the end of a heading paragraph for purposes of creating a cross-reference that included the section (read: chapter) number that was actually in a different paragraph. My problem is that the numbers started showing up in the bookmarks panel, which I did not want at all. I wound up rewriting the xref to use the <$chapnum> variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops. Just realized how long that thread is.

The TL;DR version is that if you use FrameMaker's predefined color of White, the autonumbering that is colored White won't show up in the bookmarks panel, but if you create a custom color definition named, say, ChapNum that uses the same color values as White (RGB: 0, 0, 0), they WILL show up in the bookmarks panel.

Stefan says that's a bug, but I don't know if it was something that the FrameMaker development team has logged and is doing anything with. Either way, it's weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking it might be from the settings in the View > Color > Views dialog.

Probably a good thing to post to adobe.com/go/wish as a bug report/feature request.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 7.57.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno. I mean, using the custom color meant I got no visible numbers in the PDF text and visible numbers in the PDF bookmarks. There are cases where that could be very useful! Perhaps we could call it a misfeature.

[Edited to add]: Also, I played extensively with the Color Views to no avail. If I used FMs predefined White, the text didn't show up in the bookmarks no matter where White was placed in the Color View. If I used a custom-named color, it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted it this morning. I was aware of the Cutout and 'White' View 1.

Irrespective of the fact that it might be yield a desired result in some use-cases, I still look at it as a bug.

Matt, does Cutout function basically like 'knockout' when processed into PDF?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look in the  Framemaker 2020: pdf bookmark numbers missing? This is similar and a fix was found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. That's essentially the same work-around I (as well as others) have already posted. It's definitely a known bug. It's up to Adobe to fix it (in their time, of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines