• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need some framemaker experts to help me convert from MS words several books I have written

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I live in Melrose, ma and I would like to know whether you can tutor me on that.

If so, what are your rates?

Thanks

Serge Angeric

TOPICS
Content migration , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you will get plenty of responses...

I can do online training/tutoring. Click on my name, "Creamer Training", and you can message me. 

I've been an Authorized Frame Consultant since 1991 and an Adobe Certified Instructor (unfortunately, Adobe recently dropped many certifications from their system, including FrameMaker). 

PS: I don't live in MA, but grew up in the Wilmington/Reading area, not too far from you.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also see @Barb Binder or @Matt S - Tech Comm Tools for training leads too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Serge, yes, happy to help with training and/or conversion. With David, Barb, and myself, you've got three great options!!

I'm currently involved in two MS Word conversion projects. They tend to be small and quick when the Word content is well-managed, and less small and less quick when not. 😉

I'm happy to take a look online so I can give you a better idea of scope. I have time today to do that if you like.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why do I need that?
It so happens that my books are rather difficult kinds where content is
very varied (many images, many cross referencing, high number of pages (up
to 660), using many types of styles, page layout (many sections, headers
and footings) and including also TOC and Index..

So the first question I have:
1) Is Framework a good replacement for Word when it comes to solidness in
results (not to have to create 5 copies of the book before achieving
correct headings, for instance).
2) If the answer is yes, I have to assume that you are very knowledgeable
of Word and you will not spend your time learning it in order to guide me
through the conversion process. 😁

Best

Serge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone willing to consider the project may want to know:

• Is there a Style Guide (SG) for the document family or enterprise?
  • Does it exist as Word template(s)?
  • Is the enterprise document architect still available?
  • Did previous writers use the templates and/or adhere to the SG, or are the .docs a morass of overrides?

Anymore, I start a project by nailing down the SG. With that in hand (often trivally converted to template), the easiest route may be just pasting in the legacy content as plain text and applying formats. If the Xrefs can be brough in non-destructively, plain text might not be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

First off @Jeff_Coatsworth—thank you for the referral! I've been mostly-offline for a few weeks, but @Serge5C71, I did send you a direct message last week to let you know I have availability after mid-November, and to give you an idea of how we could work together. 

To address your latest inquiry:

1. FrameMaker is the best choice for complex page layout, and people transition to FrameMaker when Word is no longer a viable option due to the layout complexity, page count and the general stability. Multiple images, x-refs, styles (paragraph, character, table and object), running heads, table of contents and an index are part of virtually all FrameMaker documentation. FrameMaker is designed specifically for long-document layout so 1000+ documents are common.
  2. I think it is safe to say that we three all know Word—it's part of our daily Word-to-FrameMaker workflow—but you don't want to hire someone for this based on their Word knowledge—you want someone who is well versed in the conversion process, can help design your template and can help with the training/coaching. All three of us have been doing this for our entire careers. Pick whomever who you think you will work best with, and who best fits your budget.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

We are a DTP provider in India, in operation for the last 17 years. Employing more than 100 in-house staff, we can help you.

Our website is http://www.dtplabs.com.

You can email us at info@dtplabs.com

Dhiraj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines