• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I would like to have a script that opens and publishes all .fm files in a directory to PDFs

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hundreds of product manuals that all have a generic warning (A) at the beginning that has been imported into all of the manuals (B). Then when A gets updated, I would like to have a script that opens all of the .fm files (B) in a directory and publishes updated PDFs with the updated content from A.

I am not familiar with Framemaker, but do have experience with Photoshop Actions for performing batch edits.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See functions

doc.open

doc.save (GetSaveDefaultParameters)

That's the way you have to go.

Please see the FM EULA. IMHO it's not allowed to do such Automation by the EULA. You need FM Publishing Server license to do this. And than there's no need for Scripting, as you can publish in a nightly build if Textinsets update automatically.

Hope this helps

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am sorry but I am still a bit lost. I don't see any doc.open or doc.save in the script editor. Can you please add more detail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry!

Open is a global function, as well as GetSaveDefaultParams. There's also a SimpleOpen function

But save is a method of doc object.

If you open ESTK press F1 and switch to FrameMaker object model. Then you will get a list of FM objects and for each object a list of properties and functions.

Please see also Scripting Guide in FrameMaker Developer Center

Hope this helps

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines