• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported PDF Graphics do not display in saved PDF

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several books that import PDF graphics just fine and the graphics display in the file Save As PDF and Export to Word. I have a new book that imports the graphics, just fine, but does not display them in Adobe Acrobat file and obviously not in the Word export file, either. What could be missing?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

First inclination would be to check how these new non-working PDFs were created vs. the working ones from before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Ok, all. Problem solved after five days. Cannot believe how two simple PDF files would cause dozens of PDF images to not load. The problem was never the server, server path character size, book file size, Acrobat converion, or PDF insertions, etc. Placing the files on a hard drive didn;t solve the problem, either.

This was ridiculously simple but took five days to troubleshoot. There were two PDF forms in one section of the book that were fillable, and I didn't know it. Previously, they were not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not the server. I moved all files to my hard drive and still have the same issue. After loading two documents to the book, everything appears fine. I am adding new documents to the book, one at a time, creating the PDF each time, and trying to find the corruption and whether it is overall file size or a document. When I added all of the documents, it crashes again and images don't load. It appears there is a file size limitation or a corrupt document file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thus far, I have added one particular document (Section 10) to the book and the image-loading issue occurs. I am now loading the other document sections after Section 10 to the book file and thus far have had no issues. It is starting to point to a corrupt document section file or a file size limitation. I am finding that file size is NOT the issue. A corrupt document appears to be causing the images not to load. Will have my final verdict in about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice troubleshooting, even if it is tedious and maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conclusion - Section 10 is causing the image-loading failure. I loaded Section 1-9, then got the failure after loading Section 10. I removed Section 10 from the book and loaded the remaining Section 11-Section 16, and all worked fine. Now I'm on to troubleshooting what could be causing the Section 10 failure. Will rebuild that section...unfortunately the largest section of them all. However, again, I did add all other sections to the book file and all work perfectly, thereby eliminating file size as part of the issue. Wow! What a very tedious task to find the culprit. I don't know how I would have found this otherwise...MIFWash perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't alway work, since your problem is likely to be with an image not the FM part. I don't know if MIFwash can fix that.

This is one of the places where that halving procedure is very, very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! lol I am the procedure. There are only two people in my department that do FrameMaker books and I am the only one that does them from scratch. Like you, I am betting on an imported image issue which occured from perhaps a conversion from Acrobat. We have found there are images for this particular section that were not originally converted from Word and exported to PDF. Some were fillable forms not flattened and some were orginally created in Corel. I believe it was CorelPerfect or something like that...long before my time. Now I just have to find which one(es) and fix this image conversion issue created by our company store...the people that created the PDF forms online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel Draw, maybe, if they were vector images. WordPerfect if they were using a word processing program.

(ETA: I still miss WordPerfect's Reveal Codes window. I love FM for many reasons, but I wish it were possible to do something similar. And yes, I know, "Use structured FM with an EDD and you'll have a close equivalent", but it's not the same.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, all. Problem solved after five days. Cannot believe how two simple PDF files would cause dozens of PDF images to not load. The problem was never the server, server path character size, book file size, Acrobat converion, or PDF insertions, etc. Placing the files on a hard drive didn;t solve the problem, either.

This was ridiculously simple but took five days to troubleshoot. There were two PDF forms in one section of the book that were fillable, and I didn't know it. Previously, they were not fillable forms and our company store changed them from flattened to fillable, electronic forms. Once I converted both to Word and exported to print-ready PDF (flattened), the problem was solved. This is probably one for our record books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it was, in a sense, a problem with the initial Word to PDF conversion. Would have been nice if they'd let you know that they'd made a change in their process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines