• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In FM 2017, where is the Resize Table Columns dialog?

Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FM 2017 (14.0.3.500), I can't find the new Resize Table Columns dialog? It's not in Table>Resize All Table Columns.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Ah, sorry, for the misunderstanding. This "Resize Table Columns" dialog is not part of FrameMaker. It's part of frameexpert's "TableCleanerES" solution. You probably already have it and just need to reinstall it. Contact frameexpert with any question. He'll be happy to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Table > Format > Resize Columns or Esc t z.

[Edited]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, there is no menu entry like that in my FM version. And the shortcut doesn't work.

The new Command Search (F7) isn't helpful, too.

I've found two screenshots of the mentioned dialog:

1. In Matt's book on page 170
  2. At http://frameautomation.com/introducing-tablecleaneres/

Perhaps this feature has been disabled in the latest FM version 3 (14.0.3.500) ?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FM 2017 it's in the menu > Table > Resize Columns...

Alternatively, you can mark a table column completely and then right-click on that column and select Resize Columns... from the context menu:

The command search (F7) will give it to you e.g. when you type "resize".

or e.g. "table":

Please note, that all this is "context sensitive". That is, your text insertion mark should be in a cell in the column of the table that you want to resize. Or the table column to resize needs to be marked up (like in the screenshot of the context menu above.)

Any of these ways will open the "Resize Selected Columns" dialog:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the detailed explanations.

But I'm NOT looking for the "Resize Selected Columns" dialog.

It works fine on my machine. And I'm using it nearly every day.

I'm looking for the "Resize Table Columns" dialog. It looks like this:

rtc.png

Is it only part of an additional script?

If yes, why is it mentioned in Matt's book as a new FM 2017 function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry, for the misunderstanding. This "Resize Table Columns" dialog is not part of FrameMaker. It's part of frameexpert's "TableCleanerES" solution. You probably already have it and just need to reinstall it. Contact frameexpert with any question. He'll be happy to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lothar, the short answer to why you found that reference in my book: I screwed up.

Rick Quatro is responsible for a number of fine FrameMaker scripts and plugins, including TableCleanerES, and FindChangeFormatsBatch that I rely upon heavily.

Unfortunately, I forgot to disable TableCleaner when I was doing updates for the 2107 release.

As a result, I mistakenly wrote it up as a FrameMaker enhancement. I've modified the reference in the book so that future editions don't contain that mistake.

The section now reads

Specifying all column widths

Using Rick Quatro’s TableCleaner plugin ($39 at frameautomation.com/introducing-tablecleaneres/), you have additional options for changing column widths based on table tag and/or column number.

Sorry for the confusion!

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aaah, now it becomes clear.

It had already surprised me, why the explanation of this dialog was so short - unlike the other explanations.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies—Stefan is correct. I'm not near a computer with FrameMaker this weekend. I know it still works—I was using it in the same version all last week, as does the shortcut which is sequential—one key at a time.

If it is really missing, check Edit > Menus to see if it was hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines