• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In FM HTML5 output, my topics all output as heading1?

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 2019 and publishing to html5 output via File-Publish. I would like my headings 2 and 3 to be within Heading 1, branching as subheadings. Im sure there is setting for this, just not sure where it is. My output just shows every topic as a heading1? ->

COHAN3_0-1595217943824.png

Cheers,

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

i figured this out, turns out I first needed a designated folder in my local hard drive for the book name, with the book file and content fm file in that folder. Then I needed to do book-create toc, as opposed to adding a previously generated toc to the book file. Then I specified TOC heading differences in indentation within the TOC file. Then I published to html5 and the output contained a properly nested toc (phew!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tell it to paginate on Headings 1, 2, and 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanx for replying; can you tell me please how or where I can do paginate commands? Thanx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the "Split into topics based on this style" setting in the Style Mapping tab of the Publish Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I have the Split box checked for headings 1-4 but I still cant get the TOC to properly nest topics based on heading heirarchy. Allow me to show you what I have so that you can possibly pick up an error in the settings or something that is missing.

Current Output TOC – all topics at the heading 1 level

COHAN3_0-1595945182471.png

I have each heading defined in a standalone TOC and that TOC is the first file in my book. Selected source document is the book file:

COHAN3_1-1595945182494.png

Here are my output settings; keep Automap unchecked?:

COHAN3_2-1595945182511.png

My Headings 1-4 map to an output style of the same name and Split is checked:

COHAN3_3-1595945182533.png

Do I need to have certain ‘Positioning’ settings?

COHAN3_4-1595945182536.png

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an add-on comment - I was told that both my doc icons in the book pod should be orange in order for them to be recognized by RH. I see my TOC icon is orange, but not the content doc; how do I get them both to be orange? 

COHAN3_0-1596042328740.png

Cheers,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The book items do not have to be orange.

2. If your Frame table of contents is set up correctly and appears properly, then the HTML output should also be OK.

What does your FrameMaker TOC look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i figured this out, turns out I first needed a designated folder in my local hard drive for the book name, with the book file and content fm file in that folder. Then I needed to do book-create toc, as opposed to adding a previously generated toc to the book file. Then I specified TOC heading differences in indentation within the TOC file. Then I published to html5 and the output contained a properly nested toc (phew!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your FM TOC file a generated TOC or did you just create one yourself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear.

I do not think that you need a designated folder for the book that only has this book in it. My folder has this book, and a few other subsets in it.

But creating the TOC in this way, is the best practice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Then I needed to do book-create toc, as opposed to adding a previously generated toc to the book file." - I think that was the issue - your "previously generated toc" sounds like it was just a manually created one that you built, instead of a FM-generated one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines