• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In FM2019 64-bit, has anyone had difficulty controlling text flow (top-to-bottom) in a two-column page layout?

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running FrameMaker 2019 64-bit in Win 10. It's terrific in a single-column page layout, but I've had difficulty controlling text flow (top-to-bottom) in a two-column page layout - despite experimenting with various paragraph tag styles and anchored frame settings, the text flows (auto word-wraps) to the 2nd column before flowing top to bottom in the 1st column, and paragraphs of text can end up out of order depending on the paragraph tag styles applied and/or anchored frame placement on the page. Have other FM2019 users encountered this problem, and if so, how did you manage it? Thank You.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Ran_techwriter:

Column balance may be impacting the flowing to the second column before filling the first column. And are you using straddled heads (Pagination > Across all Columns)? Are your anchored frames or tables set to Float?

All of these will impact the text flow. I lay out a long two-column document with no issues. If you aren't sure what is going on, screen shots with borders and text symbols showing will help narrow this down.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran_techwriter:

Column balance may be impacting the flowing to the second column before filling the first column. And are you using straddled heads (Pagination > Across all Columns)? Are your anchored frames or tables set to Float?

All of these will impact the text flow. I lay out a long two-column document with no issues. If you aren't sure what is going on, screen shots with borders and text symbols showing will help narrow this down.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder - Yes, I experimented with the Column Balance and Pagination settings throughout the document, which helped - but text flow was still surprisingly problematic to manage, partially due to project requirements (e.g., the presence of "excess white space" on the page is discouraged). I'm encouraged by your comment that you're able to create a long two-column document with no issues, so I'll continue to work with those features and refine paragraph tag styles and anchored frame settings going forward. Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ran_techwriter :

the presence of "excess white space" on the page is discouraged)

In that case, have you explored the float attribute for anchored frames and tables? This allows the text after either one to backfill and fill up the whitespace.

An alternative is to anchor both objects towards the bottom of the previous page, so that all images are at the top of the page. You can cut/paste or drag and drop anchors to play with the options.

If you can't find an acceptable layout, share a screen shot of a problem page and I can be more specific.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help, Ran_techwriter​!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ran_techwriter,

I also use a two-column layout with balanced columns.

There are a few bugs so that sometimes the balancing does not work.

Or paragraphs from the end of the second column appear at the end of the first column. When you move the insertion mark with the arrow keys, the insertion mark moves from the end of the second column to the end of the first column and then back to the second column.

I hope that these bugs get fixed with one of the next updates!

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Winfried Reng

Thank you very much for your response and verification. I've notified Adobe directly regarding the situation, and I suspect that it will take some time for them to investigate and resolve.

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines