• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect appearance of bullets

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody. I need some with bulleted list.

I work with FM 2017 (14.0.2.425). Most of the time I use it on my office PC, and everything goes smoothly in this case. Recently I was forced to use it on my notebook as well. I’ve installed the same FM version and placed all fonts used in the document to C:\Windows\Fonts. I’ve checked the “Myriad Roman” font is installed on both machines. However, here the problem began.

On my office computer, FM shows bullets fine (the following illustration):

correct_bullet.png

However, on my note book FM shows the following:

incorrect_bullets_note.PNG

I’ve also checked that Zapf fonts are present on both computers.

Any ideas what’s happening and how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Are you getting any missing font messages to the FrameMaker Console when you open the document (View > Panels > Console)? Are both computers using the same version of Windows? I am assuming you are using Zapf Dingbats, which is an Adobe Type 1 font. These fonts have been depricated so you may want to switch to something built into Windows like Wingdings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frameexpert,

Console does not show any missing fonts. Both computers have Windows 10 Pro same version. And "Yes", Zapf Dingbats font is used. I could change it to smth else, but the key question is  - "Why bullets are different on two computers with absolutily equal settings?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Control Panel > Fonts, do you see that Zapf Dingbats is installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I can see it installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use that legacy overlay Zapf Dingbat font (or WingDings or WebDings, for that matter; same base problem). Use a Unicode bullet if populated in Myriad Pro, such as:
• U+2022 BULLET
● U+25CF BLACK CIRCLE
⬤ U+2B24 BLACK LARGE CIRCLE
I don't have Myriad on my system to check. If your main font doesn't have the bullet you need, then use a font that does, such as Segeo UI Symbol, and set up a Character Format to apply it.

The bullet in Zapf resides at \x6c in FM notation, which is the same code point as
U+006C LATIN SMALL LETTER L
In any workflow where Zapf can't be mapped, you'll get an "l" instead of a bullet.

Getting away from legacy codepage/overlay fonts is increasingly important. If the workflow includes output to HTML, for example, these old overlays simply don't work; whereas most browsers perform any needed font fallback for unpopulated Unicode codepoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines