• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a faster way to select a font than scrolling?

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m brand new to FrameMaker, and I’m hoping there’s a better way  to select a font than scrolling down the lengthy listbox.  I have probably several hundred fonts installed, and scrolling down to find the one I want takes way too much time.  Please take a look at how Photoshop does it, using combo box with auto completion, and please consider implementing  the same thing in FrameMaker.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which FrameMaker version are you using? This is there since at least FM 2017.

Just type into the font family dropdown and the list gets filtered down the more you type. You also see a preview of the font.

Works in all dialogs where you define a style:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi cwcsdc:

As a new user who may be teaching themselves how to user FrameMaker, this is a very important sentence in Stefan's answer:

Works in all dialogs where you define a style

In the Designers, you can type in multiple letters to filter down to a specific font, just like in Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.10.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.10.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.10.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.11.42 AM.png

But there is a fundament difference there—in Photoshop paragraph styles and character styles are used by most folks only occasionally, if ever. In FrameMaker, styles are an essential part of the workflow. If you don't design using styles you are introducing overrides and this becomes a very clunky, slow workflow in the long run.

Your question makes me worry that you are working with the Text Formatting toolbar—which means you are working with overrides and not defining styles. This will come back to get you in the long run.

If I'm guessing wrong, great! If I'm guessing right, then I highly recommend that you track down some training on FrameMaker, which will address this issue and oh, so many more. FrameMaker is a powerful application, but it's a tough one to teach yourself just by poking around the menus and pods.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines