• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a master file I can open and edit the font and font color choices?

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having to change the fonts in an 800 page document and there are upwards of THIRTY different fonts and even more color shade choices for the fonts.

We are simplifying to Arial only and black text. So far I'm editing each page individually. I would love a .css file that I can go through quickly. Is this available?

I'll keep searching the forum, but would love any help you guys can provide.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the Find & Replace feature to clean up the fonts - there's no CSS that controls this in your FM docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to change a style in the entire document from "whatever" to "Body"?

TableText to Body

ChartText to Body

FooterText to Body

NoteTable to Body

etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, IIRC the "by pasting" method in the Find & Replace feature can do that, but it doesn't clean up the paragraph tags in the document's catalog - that you have to do manually or use a plug in script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Find and Replace for that, also.

1. Open the Find and Replace dialog and select Paragraph Tag from the Find drop-down list.
  2. Type the name of the tag you want to replace in the field below.
  3. Click Find.
  4. With your cursor in the found paragraph, use the Paragraph catalog to apply the Body tag.
  5. Click Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph Paragraph Format
  6. On the Find & Replace dialog, select By Pasting from the Change drop-down list.
  7. Click Find again.
  8. Click Change and verify that the Body tag has been applied.
  9. Click Change All.
  10. Repeat for all the paragraph tags you want to change.

If you have a buttload of formats, you might want to look at Rick Quatro's Find/ChangeFormatsBatch script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and you might also want to do a Find/Replace with Paragraph Format Override and Change All. If your Body tag has already been applied to other paragraphs but there are character style changes, this will reset everything to your plain Body tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did locate and tidy this tip from the forum:

Perform a Find/Change on Styles in FrameMaker

Scenario: I want to change all "TableText" styles to "Body".

1. Make a back-up of your file, just in case.
  2. Jot down the style you are replacing and what you are replacing it with. (I got so involved in the steps I don't remember which style I replaced! Just gonna assume it worked throughout the Book.*)
  3. Locate and click inside a paragraph that uses the the style you want to apply; Body in this case.
  4. Click Edit > Copy special > Paragraph format to copy the format to the clipboard.
  5. Click Edit > Find/Change to open the Find/Change tool tab.
  6. Place the cursor in a paragraph that uses the format you want to replace; TableText in this case.
  7. Select Paragraph tag from the Find drop-down. Frame Maker should display the current format from the cursor position. If not, enter the name of the style manually.
  8. Select By pasting from the Change drop-down menu.
  9. Click the Change button and the font should change to the desired style.
  10. Click the Change all button once you're ready to change all occurrences.
  11. I want to apply Body to ALL styles and I didn't need to copy again, just perform steps 6-12.
  12. Save often and make notes of what you change.
  13. Delete the unwanted styles using the Paragraph Designer tool tab.

*Did this work for ALL pages in my Book? Yes. When I clicked Change, it updated the single selected instance. When I clicked Change All, it came back with "843 changes in book" message, another said "1676 changes in book".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried,

There are a few techniques that might help make these changes that I don't believe have yet been mentioned in this discussion: global updates, the Create and Apply Formats command, and editing MIF versions of your documents.

First, however you do the updating, make sure you back up your book before making the changes and proofread carefully afterwards.

Global update options

If you want to change all paragraph formats within a single document to use Arial and black, try the following within one document:

1. Open the Paragraph Designer.

2. Go to the Font tab.

3. There is a pop-up menu in the lower-left corner of the designer, identified by the familiar Settings icon in FM 2017 and FM 2019 and by the word "Commands" in earlier versions. From this menu, select Set Window As Is. If a paragraph tag is still displayed in the Style text box (The label is Paragraph Tag prior to FM 2017), delete the text.

4. Select Arial for the font and Black for the color.

5. In the Commands pop-up menu, select Global Update Options.

6. In the bottom section of the dialog box, click the All Paragraphs and Catalog Entries radio button.

7. Click the Update button.

The above process will change these two properties of all existing paragraphs and catalog entries in this one file. If all your book components define the same paragraph formats, you can then import paragraph formats from this file into the others. If different files have different paragraph catalogs, you might need to repeat this process in different files.

The character designer also provides Global Update Options which you may need to change analogously.

Create and Apply Formats

The Create and Apply Formats can help you deal with overrides. It assigns a character tag to all untagged text ranges that do not use the default paragraph font. It also defines new catalog entries as needed for all variations of existing used paragraph and character formats and assigns them to paragraphs and text range that contained overrides. Tags of the new formats consist of the original tag followed by a numeric suffix. Thus, the first variation of Body is tagged Body1 and the second is Body2 (the numbers change as needed if any of the tentative tags already exist).

Having everything tagged allows you to look at the Paragraph Catalog to find all used paragraph tags. Note though that if you use this command in different files, the new formats are likely not to match.

MIF

You can save the documents as MIF and use the MIF file either to help proofread or to make the changes. In particular, you can open the MIF file for one document and use any plain text editor to look for two statements: <FFamily `xxx'> and <FColor `yyy'>. To make the changes in MIF, change xxx to Arial and yyy to Black. Save the result, open it back in FM, and save it as an FM document.

For proofreading via MIF, no matter how you've made changes, delete all occurrences of <FFamily `Arial'> and <FColor `Red'>. Then search for <FFamily and <FColor. If you find either string, you may have missed something.

Graphics

A final note is that none of the techniques that have been mentioned in this thread (except possibly MIF) will help you correct text lines such as call-outs in anchored frames. You should at least consider whether you need to look at text lines.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Very good help!

Regarding text lines: That's why I do not use text lines in anchored frames, but small text frames with text.

This way I can control the appearance with a paragraph format.

You cannot apply paragraph formats to text lines, only character formats.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines