• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a quick way to change sentence case?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of headings in this format:

Sample Heading Name in Original Document

I want to change them to sentence case:

Sample heading name in original document

In Word I can use shift+F3 to cycle through cases once I've selected the text. Is there a similar option in FrameMaker?

Thanks in advance,
Kat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Oh, and if you have the text formatting toolbar turned on, you'll see the below. From left to right, the buttons will change the highligted text to lowercase, initial caps, uppercase, and sentence case. (I learned using the escape keys, so that's what I default to).

text edit toolbar change case.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight text, use icon to drop to lower case first time, then for the next instance, hightlight text and use F6? Haven't tried it, but F6 is "repeat last action" AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That will help, I hadn't even noticed the icons, so I've been changing the case manually.  I figured there had to be a faster way 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Highlight the text you want to change, then press (in sequence) Esc-e-C-i, then click Replace.

For uppercase, it's Esc-e-C-u, for lowercase it's Esc-e-C-l

Windows commands:

Uppercase: CTRL+ALT+u

Lowercase: CTRL+ALT+l (that's a lowercase L)

Initial caps: CTRL+ALT+c

I'm not sure if there's anything on the menus that will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and if you have the text formatting toolbar turned on, you'll see the below. From left to right, the buttons will change the highligted text to lowercase, initial caps, uppercase, and sentence case. (I learned using the escape keys, so that's what I default to).

text edit toolbar change case.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again!

Do you happen to know if the sentence case button (Aa) is an improvement in FM2020/16, or if there's a way to turn it on in FM2019/15?

I can see it in FM2020, but my company's docs are still in the version before and it's not showing up there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The toolbar is there without the sentence case option. View > Toolbars > Text Formatting. So I guess it was an improvement for FM2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you tuen this on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which FrameMaker version do you have?

Did you read the other posts of this thread? At least in the last version the icon on the toolbar did not work.

I do not sit in front of my PC and can test it only tomorrow.

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was in Photoshop group my bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Todd:

Here is the link to the Photoshop forum. 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/ct-p/ct-photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filt...

But I can tell you that Photoshop does not have a sentence case feature. We can convert text to All Caps or Small Caps in the Character panel window. You can also copy the text to Word, convert to sentence case there, and then copy it back. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited:

Sentence Case is new in 2020. I can't find a keyboard shortcut for it—if anyone knows what it is, please share! I had to correct about 100 of these yesterday in Fm 2019. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is one. I suppose you could add one by editing the wincmds.cfg file, but you'd have to search the whole thing to be sure you weren't stepping on one already coded in.

It would be in the Keyboard Shortcuts section. The commands for upper, lower, and initial case are:

<Modify UpperCaseText <KeySequence ~^ u >
<KeySequence ~^ U > >
<Modify LowerCaseText <KeySequence ~^ l >
<KeySequence ~^ L > >
<Modify InitialCapsText <KeySequence ~^ c >
<KeySequence ~^ C > >

Where ~ indicates the Alt key and ^ indicates the Control key.

The KeySequence ~^ S is already assigned to FindNext, so that's out.

Klaus Daube has excellent documentation on how to customize FrameMaker here: https://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker00.html#internals

(Scroll to the Special Documentation section)

but frankly, that's not something I'd want to mess with unless I anticipate doing this a WHOLE LOTTA TIMES.

I believe in earlier versions of FM I selected an entire sentence, made it all lowercase, then went back and capped the first letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does this Sentence Case icon on the Formatting toolbar work?

When I select a sentence and click on the other icons, the upper/lower case of the first characters of the words are changed.

However, when I click on the Sentence Case icon, nothing changes.

It does not matter, if I start with initial caps, all lower case, a mixture of everything, German or English text, other languages.

FrameMaker 2020, 16.0.1.817.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used it (I use the Esc sequences for all upper, all lower, or initial caps). I did just try it and got the same results you did, so sounds like a bug to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. It doesn't work for me either!

Logged it here: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9835

Please vote, add comments. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines