• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create a Figure Sheet X of X?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to create a variable, or paragraph format for a figure caption that displays sheet X of X?  I need something to work similar to the Table Sheet variable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

No, it's not built into FrameMaker like the Table Sheet variables are.

But you are aware that each table sheet counter starts over for each table, right? So I'm still not clear why you can't use it for both traditional tables, and those holding the figures. The key is in the variable definition—just leave it at the default of (Sheet <$tblsheetnum> of <$tblsheetcount>) so that the wording will work in both situations. Put your title as described in a FigureTitle (you can use any tag above a table)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put the figure in a table? That's a pretty common workflow for different reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really - I have captioned tables in the same file as well.  Still have to use a Figure tag and not a Table tag.  I was hoping there was a variable that might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing that easy, Susan.

I'm trying to visualize your layout (a screen shot or two would be helpful) and falling short. A table can span multiple pages which is why we have the sheet count. A figure can't span pages, so what exactly is happening? Maybe we can figure out a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry can't supply and example - I have several figures, falling on several pages, that are continuations of the first, etc.  I need the Caption to read "Figure 3-25. Block Diagram (Sheet 1 of 7)"  I want it to behave the way the Table Sheet variable does - but I get that the table part is what makes it work.  I was hoping that framemaker had a solution for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not built into FrameMaker like the Table Sheet variables are.

But you are aware that each table sheet counter starts over for each table, right? So I'm still not clear why you can't use it for both traditional tables, and those holding the figures. The key is in the variable definition—just leave it at the default of (Sheet <$tblsheetnum> of <$tblsheetcount>) so that the wording will work in both situations. Put your title as described in a FigureTitle (you can use any tag above a table), one figure in each body row, set the rows to start at the top of the page.

VMware Fusionss_007.png

VMware Fusionss_008.png

VMware Fusionss_009.png

Otherwise, I would reconsider the numbering style to take advantage of FrameMaker is meant to handle this: 3-25.1, 3-25.2, 3-25.3 or some variation on that theme. After 30 years in the field, I have learned that it is best if I design around my program's strengths and actively avoid the weaknesses.

If you just need Adobe to change how FrameMaker works, you can always put in a feature request here: Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I was able to make it work by embedding the graphic in a table with the title below the table.  Then used my Figure Caption tag with the Table Sheet variable.  I guess I was hoping for a tidier solution.  Thanks for all the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds perfect! I'm glad I was able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines