• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to generate a barcode in FrameMaker 15?

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need to insert in the boilerplate page a barcode for the user guide.

I see there's an option to insert QR codes, but don't see any for barcodes.

How is this done?

All advice greatly welcome!

Donna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you'd have to generate the bar code and save an image of it to be used in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donna,

There are free barcode fonts. See, for example, https://www.barcodefaq.com/.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this with ExtendScript. In general the process is as follows:

1. Find out which barcode format you need to use.
  2. Obtain a barcode font that is compatible with the required barcode format, there are many different encodings, so this is an important step.
  3. Create a paragraph format that uses the barcode font at the required size. Large enough so that it can be scanned easily.
  4. Use ExtendScript to create a script that generates the required Start symbol, check digit and end symbols for the value that you need to encode. This is the difficult part as you have to map all characters in the font to the required value and it's not always an obvious mapping.
  5. Update the document with the encoded barcode.
  6. Test it using a barcode scanner. I use a mobile app on my phone for testing.

Some barcodes function in different ways depending on the start symbol's value.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use qrstuff.com for free barcode generation, and for qr codes beyond what you can do with Fm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your  helpful input.

I checked out Lynne's tip on barcode fonts and created a character tag that was based on a free barcode font, but as the resulting barcode looked different than what an online barcode generator issued, decided not to spend more time researching this and opted for Jeff's idea of importing a generated barcode as an image.

Was very pleased that FM 2015 supports SVG imports as the imported barcode file retains the vector sharpness.

This site provides SVG downloads: Free Barcode Generator - Create barcodes here for anybody who will refer to this post in the future.

Appreciate the quick responses and great ideas!

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donna,

Just for information, the reason that you can't just format the barcode's value directly by applying the correct font is because of the special control characters that have to be generated to validate the encoding. That's the tricky part - step 4 in my previous response. 

Some may ask why go to the effort of generating the barcodes in FrameMaker. In some cases it's essential, the FrameMaker document could be generated from a database or directly from XML. In those cases the formatting has to be ready to use and a manual barcode graphic generation step would be very inefficient.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's very good to know Ian.

Many thanks!

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines