• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to import some (not all) same name para styles to multiple chapters (files) in a book overwriting old settings without apply/update all function in Frame Maker vs. 12?

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to import some (not all) same name para styles to multiple chapters (files) in a book overwriting old settings without apply/update all function in Frame Maker vs. 12?

I have a book that has 25 chapters (files) and need to 5 to 8 para styles updates and only want these styles updated. Can these files be updated globally?

I’ve yet to figure out how to manage updates globally of same name para styles without performing the following function for each individual chapter in the book:

1. Open the file
  2. Paste the updated para styles (5 to 8)
  3. Open each para style
  4. Apply
  5. Update all
  6. Repeat this function for each chapter in the book for each para style.

It is very time consuming to complete this function for 25 individual files. For five para style updates for a book with 25 chapters equates to 125 functions—there must be a more efficient process to manage style files.

Any suggestions are much appreciated on how to manage style updates in a book with 25 chapters?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

I normally save the file that has the correct formatting under a new name like "temp", delete the formats I don't need to update, and then use the normal File > Import > Formats. It's quicker that Copy > Special.

This would be a terrific feature request: Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally save the file that has the correct formatting under a new name like "temp", delete the formats I don't need to update, and then use the normal File > Import > Formats. It's quicker that Copy > Special.

This would be a terrific feature request: Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume after I import the file that contains only the styles I want to import to all the chapters, I still would have to open each

Chapter and styles Apply>Update All—correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Just choose Remove Overrides in the File > Import > Formats dialog box if you are using overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that would be a tremendous time saver. Thanks for your assistance, I’ll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this work for you, Christine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Thanks for your assistance. What a time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, Christine! Happy to hear that it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing only selected paragraph-formats, tableformats etc. is not THAT easy.

I'm actually developing a script, that's just trying to do that. I've stopped working on it, because I haven't found a solution for this problem, yet:

A paragraph-format that has a "Next Tag" with another paragraph-format, that a "Next Tag" with another paragraph-format .......

What should I do? Import all these formats, too?

The same with colors in that paragraph-format.

So it could happen, if I only want to import 1 Format, I have to import several depending formats and colors.

Or should I ignore these depending formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest creating a "Version 1" of the script that "just" imports (and adds to the catalog) the styles, but having this in mind.

Version 2, could check for depending formats and could throw out a warning saying something like "The imported formats also require importing other depending formats for the 'Next paragraph Tag' feature to work. Import depending formats as well? [Yes/No]" Or you make a checkbox "Also import depending formats" in the format import dialog.

It's a little bit of an effort to recursively parse all styles that are selected for import for their dependants, but after all, it should be no big problem for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your input. That's exactly what I'm planning.

It feels good, to get input from other users and other points of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Klaus, with Stefan's idea of version 1. Christine's question is one that comes up regularly in my workflow (and that of my students) so just being able to automate the very basic process of updating selected styles would be awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, you might want to consider having an option (checkbox) for "updating existing styles" / "remove overrides".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines