• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List every Title format in UnstructMasterPageMaps?

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

I am using FM 2015 in a Win 7 environment.

My book contains files that start with these heading formats:

Title1

Title2plus

TltleA

TitleBplus

TitleContents

TitleNoNum

Is there any downside to putting all of these formats in the UnstructMasterPageMaps table in the reference pages? That way, for example, if an appendix is moved from C to A, and the Title format is changed from TitleBplus to TitleA, the mapping still works.

Has anyone tried this and had any problems? I don't want to charge ahead and then find that I have to undo a lot of work ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Normally, the only ¶tags that need to be listed in the UnstructMasterPageMaps table are those that implicitly need something other than Left/Right.

There's no harm in adding more to the table, but know that FM behavior appears to be that it maps on the first match found in Flow A on each page. So if there's a conflict, the first one found prevails.

Table contents are ignored, unless Adobe has later fixed that, so there' no point in listing CellBody, etc..

There is one reason to comprehensively popu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, the only ¶tags that need to be listed in the UnstructMasterPageMaps table are those that implicitly need something other than Left/Right.

There's no harm in adding more to the table, but know that FM behavior appears to be that it maps on the first match found in Flow A on each page. So if there's a conflict, the first one found prevails.

Table contents are ignored, unless Adobe has later fixed that, so there' no point in listing CellBody, etc..

There is one reason to comprehensively populate the UMPM table, and that's the ThisPageLeftIntentionallyBlank hack, where only empty pages get the default "Left" or "Right", and the default L/R master pages contain the TPILB statement. I'm doing that in a project right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Bob. I think you've confirmed exactly what I'm trying to do!

We decided to start chapters on the first available page, whether left or right, and I'd been carefully setting up the UMPM table in each chapter with only the name of the Title-level paragraph format that appears in that chapter type (Title1, Title2plus, etc., etc.). The Title-level paragraph format is the first thing in Flow A in each chapter file, so it sounds as if things are OK there.

But then I wondered if I could make life easier for myself and just list all the title-level paragraph formats in the UMPM  table in each chapter type so if a chapter changes position or changes from chapter to appendix, FrameMaker won't start disappearing pages, which is what it does sometimes when that table doesn't have the correct Title information.

So it sounds as if I can do it and simplify my Framemaker templates a bit.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines