• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost Document/Book Pod

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lost the column with the book and associated files listed (33.png was what it looked like before; 22.png is what I get today). So, when I open a book, I don't see the list of sub-files/chapters. How do I get this back?

Framemaker 2019

33.png

22.jpg

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019
I reached out to Adobe Support. I had a corrupt file. They fixed it with a shared screen and I'm all good to go now. Thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, but these don't appear to be screenshots of the same thing. 33.png is a screenshot of an opened book file, while 22.png is a screenshot of the Welcome screen without an opened book file.

What happens when you open the book file again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I think I am missing something. You have already opened the book, right? 

At a guess, the pod showing your book got undocked from the main window. Try shrinking (but not minimizing) the main window for Frame and see if the one for the book is lurking in the background. If it is, you can drag the book window into the main window and move it to the left side of the main window until you see a blue bar. Once you do, the pod is docked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Normally, when I open a book the book pod is docked to the left. Now when I open a book, the pod doesn't appear. I already tried to see if it was lurking in the background, and it is not. I've used Framemaker for 9 years and never had this happen before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the tip to shrink the FrameMaker window to get to the undocked book window. I did not know this.

However, I find it extremely difficult to dock the book window. Maybe I did not find the correct position, but I can do this only, when there is already another book open.

When I open a book, it is always docked. I did not find an option that new books are not docked.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What is in your Window menu in Composite Documents?

There are the open books listed.

What happens, when you click on your book?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "Open Files" pod, I see my current book is open. When I perform Window/Composite Documents - Composite Documents is grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

And what happens, when you click on your book file in the Open Files pod?

In your screenshot 33.png your book does not have the book extension. Is there any reason?

What's your exact FrameMaker version? The current version 15.0.4.751.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current version is 15.0.4.751. When I click on the book file in the Open Files pod, nothing happens. I can click the check box, but nothing happens. I just received an Internal Error 15044 and FM shut down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is your book structured?

Or why does your book file in your screenshot does not have the book extension?

Can you change the file name in your file manager and add the book extension?

Does this change anything?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unstructured. My books do have the .book extension, it just never shows when the book pod was open. I cannot change the file name in the file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Windows > Composite only works with document files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

OK. I see. When you choose in your file manager to hide the file name extensions, then FrameMaker does not show the book extension.

Still I do not know, why your book is not listed in Composite Documents.

Are all your books not shown in your FrameMaker window?

I do not have a solution for you. Sorry. Maybe someone else has an idea.

You can write to the Adobe FrameMaker support and see, if they find something. Please refer them also to this thread. When you get a solution, please post it here.

tcssup@adobe.com

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore my response on Composite Book. I read "Composite" and was actually looking at the Consolidate option. 

(I'm not dyslexic, but I have a history of reading or hearing things incorrectly at first, often with some funny interpreations. Once I was following a car on an interstate and thought that its license plate read "Expiration Date", which struck me as odd. When I got a closer look, though, I discovered it actually read "Constitution State".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try View > Switch to tree view [Esc r m]

(if it is available)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I reached out to Adobe Support. I had a corrupt file. They fixed it with a shared screen and I'm all good to go now. Thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines