Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing PS Font in a PDF document created with FrameMaker 2020

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The PS Font appears in the FrameMaker document but it does not appear in the PDF document created with Acrobat Pro DC.

The PS Font file can be printed from Windoes Fonts folder without a hassle (without Acrobat), so problem is not in the font itself. I suspect the problem is in Acrobat Distiller, because the font appears correctly in FrameMaker document!

Any help with this issue will be appeciated!

Iracildo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "PS Font" do you mean:
â—Š a "PostScript" (Type 1) font, and if so, what name?

â—Š a font named "PS" and if so, what font file type?
Type 1 fonts are going to become unuseable shortly, but I don't think the deadline has hit FM yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a custom Type 1 font that I created myself. Please, see the attached
pdf file!

Regards
Iracildo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No PDF file found.

Rendering path might matter too:
Save as PDF
Print to PDF
Publish to PDF
Print to .ps & Distill?

Your mention of "created with Acrobat Pro DC" also raise the question of what Acrogat version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of Adobe Acrobat Pro: 2022.003.20263. It is part of the
Technical Communication Suite.

Follow the pdf file.

Regards
Iracildo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering path might matter too:
Save as PDF
Print to PDF
Publish to PDF
Print to .ps & Distill?

Well, in any hypothesis the Type 1 font appear in the pdf document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens, when you use other applications, e.g. Word, and print to a PostScript file and distill to PDF?

There is also a font property which prevents the embedding in a PDF. You might check, if your properties allow this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject line for this thread says "FrameMaker 2020", but you also report {some version} of TCS that includes Acrobat Pro: 2022.003.20263. I'm wondering if there's some version mis-match afoot here.

If that font is for use in documenting an HP 17B (presumably 17BII or 17BII+), I see that the 17BII+ manual (F2234-90001, file c00363348.pdf, authored in Word in 2006) appears to have a font for the keycaps & prompts. Not sure if this information is of any use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Bob!

I do not believe that there is a mismatch between FrameMaker and Acrobat Pro because both is from TCS.

The font is used in a book that I wrote in which I use HP calculators (HP-12C, HP17BII+ and HP-19BII). By the way, what am I supposed to do with file c00363348.pdf? Excuse me, I did not understand your point!

Regards

Iracildo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(See end of post for potential solution)

I believe Bob is pointing out that there is a font an HP user manual that successfully uses a key caps and prompts font. Perhaps tracking down this font would be a solution to your issue.

Historically, custom Type 1 fonts lack the hinting provided in Type 1 fonts available from Adobe. Like early TrueType fonts, custom fonts can be less reliable in any application, and are dependent on the RIP (Raster Image Processor) used to publish the content. (end Boring Educational Soapbox)

What that means is that just because an app like MS Word can print to a specific PostScript device, not all apps will successfully print to all PostScript devices.

Potential Solutions

If you haven't used one or more of these methods, I suggest you try (in order of likelyhood of success):

• using the Publish pod to produce PDF
  • use File>Print using the Adobe PDF driver
  • use File > Print using other non-Adobe PDF postscript drivers, print to file, and use Distiller to process

Also, when using File > Print to PDF, you might want to review an old post I wrote that preceded the Publish pod method of PDF production

https://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A TCS that includes FM 2020 strikes me as unlikely to have included AcroPro 2022, unless that got updated independently (which could easily happen if you also have CreativeCloud).

re: …what am I supposed to do with file c00363348.pdf

Just in case you wanted to look it up at HP and see how they handled that font issue. Perhaps interestingly, they did the keycaps as a legacy overlay font (Latin-1 8-bit codepoints), and the screen prompts as a Unicode BMP PUA font (U+E000 to U+F8FF range).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I gave up using the custom Type 1 font!

Thanks for the support.

Iracildo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate, but not totally surprising. Font creation apps can be wonderful, but only when they work!

Did you find an existing font, or are you using placed graphics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Matt!

I will use graphics made with the drawing tools of FrameMaker. They have not the visual appeal of the font, but I have not a better option!

Congratulations for your book "FrameMaker Working with Content". Very good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get any app to render a page of all of them to PDF, open that in a vector editor (e.g. Illustrator), convert to vectors outlines (thanks, Matt), and save each as an SVG.

But I would think that there are tools for converting T1s to OTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Bob's on the right track, but perhaps your original artwork in the font app is (or could be converted to) vector-based and could be easily migrated to Illustrator for saving to SVG or other quality vector format.

And, Illustrator itself might be able to convert the font characters to outlines. (This last one might be at the top of my list if I had to create the vector images)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I do not know how to use Illustrator and I have no time to learn to use it as I will publish my book in the next month.

I converted the T1 font to OTF, but the OTF font did not appear in the document either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

post the font and an Fm file containing all the characters and I'll see if I can do a quick conversion for you. It might only take 5 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Matt!

Follow the files. File Teclado3.pdf was generated from Teclado3.fm.

If you need any explanation, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

Please, send your e-mail address to [personal info removed by moderator] for me to send the FrameMaker file and the OTF font file.

I tried to send these files attaching them to this message without success! I do not know why!
[Moderator note - please send Matt a Private Message with your contact info and a link to this thread]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator,

Please, can you explain why I can not attach to this message the files I am trying to send to Matt? I would like to send five files but I only could send three. I try to send the other two files (I attach them clicking in the brouse link) but they are not sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has had issues with attaching different file types like .fm and .book files - at one point it was working & I guess now it's not again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please,

How can I send a Private Message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent my email via PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Iracildo Luis157F - just click on the person & their profile will appear; there's a "Send Message" button at the top of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines