• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Framemaker file breaks links to graphics

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of our FrameMaker files were moved from their original location, (lets call it folder A) on a network to (folder A\1). All of our graphics are linked to a separate network location from the FrameMaker files.  When the files were moved it appears they broke the links to the graphics. Is this normal? This will force us to relink all the graphics.

Second question is when/if the FrameMaker file is renamed and moved back to its folder A, will the links be restored? 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

1. Moved & broken - yes
Normal - yes
Relink? - yes, do one & the rest should snap-to in place
2. Moved back - nope, you'll have to fix them again.
Best practice for something like this is to always preserve the relative position - i.e. if the project is in a sub-folder like c:\project\project_name and you move it c:\backups\project_name\, as long as the images are still within that \project_name\ folder, you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Moved & broken - yes
Normal - yes
Relink? - yes, do one & the rest should snap-to in place
2. Moved back - nope, you'll have to fix them again.
Best practice for something like this is to always preserve the relative position - i.e. if the project is in a sub-folder like c:\project\project_name and you move it c:\backups\project_name\, as long as the images are still within that \project_name\ folder, you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FrameMaker file and the images are in two different server folders so it has never worked for me to update one file and the others snap into place...unfortunately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look at my PathChanger script. It allows you to use an Excel spreadsheet to compile the paths in one place and update them using Excel's Find/Change. Then PathChanger will reapply the updated paths to your FrameMaker document or book. frameexpert dot com slash store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I have enocuntered this, a quick fix that often worked was:
1. Figure where the imports were expected to be relative to the FM doc.
2. Without opening it, make a copy of the FM doc at the original relative dir.
3. Open the doc in FM. Resolve any stragglers not found.
4. While still open, save-as in the final dir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines