• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Much Greater-Than chracter >> appears in Character Palette but not in document

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Much Greater-Than character, >>, is shown in Character Palette for Times New Roman as 226B. When I add it to my document in a paragraph with a default font of Times New Roman the question mark character is displayed instead. Any ideas of why this is happening? I don't see the character in the Symbol font but perhaps someone with sharper eyes can find it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

After a reboot, I was able to get FM Character Palette (CP) to stay visible long enough to play with U+226B.

For a number of sparsely-populated fonts, including TNR, CP apparently shows all of Unicode, with no indication of whether clicking on any particular code point will insert the intended glyph, or result in "?". By the way, the "?" is entirely a rendering issue. If you check the MIF, it will actually contain a "≫" at that point in the text.

And by "all of Unicode", that includes the SMP ra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both BabelMap and MS Character Map report on my Win10 system that Times New Roman does not populate:
U+226B MUCH GREATER-THAN [≫]
so "?" would be the expected result in FM (which has no fallback). FM internally knows what that codepoint is, so if you use U+226B in a Variable definition, for example, it will collapse \u226b to ≫ in the dialog.

In addition to trying another font, you might instead use:
U+00BB RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK [»]
unless you need the semantics. U+00BB is populated in TNR.

I can't get the FM Character Palette to stay visible long enough to see what it does. It winks out after a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. If this happens again I will remember to verify in Windows Character Map. I wish I knew why it appears in the FM Character Palette.

I can't use a different font unless it is already being used in the book. I looked at Arial and it doesn't support U+226B. I haven't had time to check the others.This is for a math audience so I'll just go with my quick and dirty method rather than using the angle quotation mark.  I figure my audience will be less disturbed by the obviously wrong choice because it is a common.choice 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a reboot, I was able to get FM Character Palette (CP) to stay visible long enough to play with U+226B.

For a number of sparsely-populated fonts, including TNR, CP apparently shows all of Unicode, with no indication of whether clicking on any particular code point will insert the intended glyph, or result in "?". By the way, the "?" is entirely a rendering issue. If you check the MIF, it will actually contain a "≫" at that point in the text.

And by "all of Unicode", that includes the SMP range above U+FFFF, which FM cannot render either, whether the font populates that range or not.
CP also winks out when you click in any other window, which is the main reason why I never use it, and tend to favor BableMap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bob, a reboot also solved my problem. I decided to test whether the FM rendering issue would result in any problems with the PDF. To my surprise, the glyph appeared in my FM document. I will monitor whether it gets changed back at any point. If so, I will post an update here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if the document uses Segoe UI Symbols. A lot of places use that for Math symbols not found in other fonts. Create a character tag called something like "Math" and apply it.

Is there a reason you can't use a font unless it's already in the book? That sounds odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines