• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My "Figure Title" numbering is starting itself over all of the sudden... can't figure out why!

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the sudden in a document I'm writing, my Figure Titles have started back at 1 (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc and then back to 1-1).

Here's a screenshot -- I'm using Text Boxes to overlay the titles with a Paragraph Style applied to the text in each box.

It was all working fine until I got to the end of a page that for some reason needed me to add a disconnected page and then connect it to the previous page.

What am I doing wrong here?  I checked my Paragraph Designer and the equation looks solid.

figure number renumbering.PNG

I'm guessing this has something to do with a text frame being disconnected somehow, but I can't determine which.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of possibilities, one of which is that the
FigureNo=1
format got re-applied, when
FigureNo
was desired (hypothetical names).

Also check text Flow names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what's weird?  When I select all in the flow, the two text boxes with figure titles in them that are causing me trouble are NOT in the flow...  but if I try to add them to the flow, I get a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the captions in text frames.  We put them into the body of the document and assign a paragraph format to them.  This avoids the problem you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have them in text frames, but with a paragraph format assigned to them.  It was all working fine until I got near the end of the page...  then when I added a new text frame to insert a new caption assigned with a paragraph format, the numbering started over.

Paragraph formatting:

H:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+1>:

I tried changing the erroring ones to H:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+>: and got nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine use the following:

F:Figure <n+>:

Try changing the <n+1> in all of them to just <n+>.

Also, in the Text Frame Properties window, check the Text Frame > Flow > Tag: field.  Mine is blank and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, try copying a text frame that's in the flow and see if the copy is also in the flow.  If so, replace the offending text frame with the copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the text frames and place the figure titles in your document.

If titles are above figures, place the anchored frame in the title.

If titles are below figures, place the title on its own paragraph following the figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I defer to the others regarding flow management and disconnected frames: All my documents are single-flow, and all my figures are in anchored frames, including the graphic and a text frame for the caption, within that one flow. But there's another thing you might check, since you're keying figure numbering to heading numbering (and forgive me if you already know this).

Check to see if there's an intervening heading just before the figure numbering resets to one. You say your autonumbering style is...

Figure Title -- H:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+>:

...and that makes perfect sense, but if your heading autonmumber styles are...

Heading 1 -- H:Section <$chapnum>< =0>< =0>

Heading 2 -- H:<$chapnum>.<n+>< =0>

Heading 3 -- H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>

...which would yield...

Section 1 ...

1.1 ...

1.1.1 ...

1.1.2 ...

1.2 ...

Section 2 ...

2.1 ... and so on

...then each new heading will naturally reset your figure numbering based on the second counter in the heading autonumber (and, BTW, in this scenario figure numbers will falsely increment lower-level heading numbers, too).

My group's template anticipates heading numbers with up to 6 digits, and also numbers figures and tables using the top-level heading number (i.e., <&chapnum>), so our autonumbering formats look like...

Heading 1 -- H:Section <$chapnum>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Heading 2 -- H:<$chapnum>.<n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Heading 3 -- H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Heading 4 -- H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n>.<n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Fig_Title -- H:Figure <$chapnum>< >< >< >< >< >-<n+>< >.

Table_Title -- H:Table <&chapnum>< >< >< >< >< >-< ><n+>.

...which reliably gives us figures and tables numbered independently of each other, starting from 1 within each chapter (Heading 1) and restarting at 1 for each new chapter, and including the chapter number as the leading digit.

Each autonumber format within the H: series must contain the same number of counters, and each counter in the sequence must stand for the same thing in each paragraph style's autonumber format. The scheme above, which is built into our templates, works fine... unless someone adds or modifies headings on an ad hoc basis, in which case we've sometimes had figure (and table) numbers reset mid-document or otherwise behave weirdly. I find it useful to think of the whole H: sequence as a matrix or table, with each column representing a position in the string.

Waaay more description than you needed, probably, but hopefully this will be useful at some level.

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, those disconnected frames are the issue.

When it comes to adding figures, I prefer the table method. Instead of anchored frames, I use anchored tables.

I add a single-cell table with the table title defined above or below. Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.11.01 AM.png

Adding one image to the table.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.11.22 AM.png

Continuing to add images.Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.12.05 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines