• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigation panel problem, Responsible HTML5

Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use FM2019 to generate Responsible HTML5, I usually have one html page per chapter (.fm file.) But a couple of the html pages become far too big, so I have decided to break them into several html pages. I made a copy of a heading paragraph style, which I use to control if a heading should be on a new html page. This works pretty fine, I get several html pages when used in one of these big chapters.

But one thing troubles me, the navigation panel doesn't look the way I want to.

If I have this "new html page" paragraph style for all headings in a chapter, it looks like:

nav1.JPG

I.e each heading gets its own entry in the navigation panel - not what I want.

However, if I replace the last instance of the "new html page" paragraph style with the regular (no new html page) heading paragraph style, the navigation panel suddenly looks the way I want it:

nav2a.JPG

Where I can click the Chapter title to expand and list the contents:

nav2.JPG

How can I keep this behavior and still use the the "new html page" paragraph style also for the last heading in the chapter?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

This is just too silly. I've found the problem - I had forgot to add the new heading paragrap style to be included in the "set up table of contents".

(Still a bit strange I got the HTML5 navigation panel half-working.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When searching the files in the output folders I've found that for some reason, these sections are placed in different toc.js files, depending on the chapter's last heading style.

If the last heading is a regular (not the new html page) heading paragraph style, all of them can be found in toc12.js:
toc12js.JPG

But if the chapter exclusively contains the "new html page" paragraph style, they are found in toc1.js:
toc1js.JPG

Does this make any sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently noticed that if you are using FM 2020, you can include a TOC file in the book you want to publish. Then, when you generate the HTML, the navigation follows the structure defined in the TOC. So for example it can give you headings H1-H3 in expandable bookmarks that you can open. We have our content splitting into new pages at H1 level, and some of our pages are also large, so it's helpful to be able to click down them using the H2 & H3 headings in the navigation pane.

This isn't a direct answer to the question you asked, but could be an alternative way to solve the problem.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been stuck in FM2019 since the FM2020 release introduced some serious bugs. However, I'm right now downloading the latest FM 2020 release 16.0.4. (Why the inconsistent naming - I'd expect FM2020 to have version 20 something.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numbering diverged when FM12 changed over to FM2015 (but internally kept v13); so FM2017 [v14], FM2019 [v15], gets you to FM2020 [v16] - simple, eh? 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had issues moving from FM 2019 to FM 2020 as well. Most were resolved by recreating new book files in 2020, and using an .sts file generated in 2020 instead of using the imported files from 2019. Importing 2019 .fm files was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just published html5 using FM2020.

First of all I exported the FM2019 .sts file as .css, and then imported the .css into FM2020. But all style overrides are lost. And the generated html5 navigation panel looks even worse now.

However, more interresting is that the .TOC file doesn't look as expected. I thought this was a pure publishing to Repsonsive HTML5 issue, but now I realize the problem appears already before publishing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is just too silly. I've found the problem - I had forgot to add the new heading paragrap style to be included in the "set up table of contents".

(Still a bit strange I got the HTML5 navigation panel half-working.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines