• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need cover image to cover the entire page - full bleed. How do I do this?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm creating a cover for a user guide and I'd like the image to cover the entire page. Currently,  when I print the pdf, I have about 1 cm of white space around the entire image. I tried manually resizing the image in Frame. I also, tried to configure bleed settings in File > Publish. On the Marks and Bleeds tab, I tried changing the bleed to 2p0 all around, but I'm not familiar with these settings. Please let me know if my description is clear enough.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

bobk75008927  schrieb

… and drew the frame as large as I could.

Just to make this clear: you don't need a frame to place an image. I'd guess that something in your chosen frame properties cuts the image off. For a title page I'd create a new dedicated master page, and then import the image in question to that master page (without having the cursor blinking in a text frame). If you don't import into the text frame, no graphic frame will be created on import of the image. It's just the image on the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that your PDF contains a full-page image, but that your output has a white border?

Toner and ink-based printers can't print to the edge of the page. Usually there are 3 sides with a 1/8" border, and one side with a 1/4" border where the gripper (real term) draws the paper through the device.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding Matt. What you write may ultimately affect what I am trying to achieve, but I was actually trying to resize the image so that it takes up the entire page over my cover. I created a new document for the cover and drew the frame as large as I could. I then added the image and then tried to manually resize the image so that it took up the entire page. Someone in my office showed me the bleed settings, but didn't help. So in summary, neither the frame cover nor the PDF contains the full image, and then when I try to print it, I get the borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ...when I try to print it, I get the borders.

Print it how? Most retail print engines (e.g. consumer & office printers) cannot print full-bleed. Commercial printers may actually implement the effect by printing on larger sheets, then cutting to size.

Using overprint & cut, it might be necessary to have cover art that is actually larger than the final page size, placed with negative offsets. I seem to recall doing it that way when I designed some mouse pads way back when.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and your helpful insight into printing full bleed.. I probably put too much emphasis on the printing part of it. I'm trying to get the image to take up the entire page on my PDF. I then hoped that when I sent it to our network printer, it would print that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobk75008927  schrieb

… and drew the frame as large as I could.

Just to make this clear: you don't need a frame to place an image. I'd guess that something in your chosen frame properties cuts the image off. For a title page I'd create a new dedicated master page, and then import the image in question to that master page (without having the cursor blinking in a text frame). If you don't import into the text frame, no graphic frame will be created on import of the image. It's just the image on the page, which can now be positioned and resized as needed, even larger than the page. This image will then be working with the bleed settings. Now simply apply that master page to your first document/title page.

Of course this also works without a dedicated master page, you can also directly import an image to the first page of your document. Just make sure it's not imported into the text frame (i.e. click outside any text frame before importing the image, so nothing is selected and no text cursor is blinking).

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Bernd.

I tried your suggestion and it seems to have helped. I deleted the frame from my page and then imported the image. After resizing the dimensions of the image, I still had to drag it around a bit, but based eyeballing it alone, it seems to be much better. Based on your and everyone else's suggestions about full bleed, I'll try printing again tomorrow.

Thanks again.Be.eM​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines