Exit

No first paragraph found - strange error situation

Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

Just to tell what's all possible in FrameMaker (15.0.5.838):

I wanted to use my ETBdocNav to get t he navigation panel - but for a particular file it reported that there are no heading paragraphs in the document. Of course there are plenty of those visible...

With the following script

#target framemaker
main ();
function main () {
var oDoc    = app.ActiveDoc;
$.writeln (oDoc.ObjectValid());
var oFlow   = oDoc.MainFlowInDoc;
$.writeln (oFlow.ObjectValid());
var oTframe = oFlow.FirstTextFrameInFlow;
$.writeln (oTframe.ObjectValid());
var oPgf    = oTframe.FirstPgf;
$.writeln (oPgf.ObjectValid());
}

only oDoc is valid, all other objects are reported invalid.

• A MIF wash did not help
  • Saving as very old did not help
  • Jumping in the miniTOC to the nearly last heading showed me a page with missing 3-D object and missing Flash object - then FM quit with dump.
  • For the reconstruction starting with the template I needed to restore an older version to get these two 'strange' objects.
  • Then I copied page by page into the template, checking after each...
  • Finally - since this is a book file - I needed to rebuild the TOC and Index.

The strange thing is: This damaged file existed since a while, just a few weeks ago I updated it, TOC and index did not fail, PDF creation worked also - so i did not notice this strange damaged object structure until ETBdocNav struggled.

How could FM 'live' with this non-existent first paragraph  oDoc.MainFlowInDoc.FirstTextFrameInFlow.FirstPgf ?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

The script likely failed at MainFlowInDoc. It is possible to have a FrameMaker document with a Flow A on the body pages, but it not be the MainFlowInDoc. This will sometimes happen with disconnected text frames or multiple master page named flows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

could you send me this file for further investigations?

It made me curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have sent it with private mail to You, Klaus - the ZIP is about 4Meg including all insets (thanks to Rick's ArchiveES) and a pdf which was successfully created from the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(for other users):

As I send you per email, your pagelayout is corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The script likely failed at MainFlowInDoc. It is possible to have a FrameMaker document with a Flow A on the body pages, but it not be the MainFlowInDoc. This will sometimes happen with disconnected text frames or multiple master page named flows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines