We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
I've generated a compiled Microsoft HTML Help file from a multi-document FM book. I've managed to customize the output to generate topics at the level I required, etc. It all works fine except for two points:
Thank you for any help.
How are you getting a Glossary tab in your chm file? Do you have any type of Glossary markers in your FM content? Whenever I create a chm, I never see the Glossary tab; only Contents, Search and optionally Index if present in the FM book.
The Search functionality works fine in my tests using only the default settings for creating the output:
Are you fully patched with your FM version? There have been two patches to date and the FM version should be 12.0.2p389.
thanks for taking the time to answer.
you were right about the glossary tab, I had a leftover glossary marker somewhere in the text. that's gone now.
I have now installed updates and my version is as you said, but my search functionality is still not working. I tried publishing with the default settings, to make sure it wasn't my settings that were at fault, but it's still not activated. I can't see in the settings where this can be changed. or is it some document setting in my Frame documents? is there some preference document wide, or option in paragraph formats that stops content being fulltext indexed?
thanks for any help.
AFAIK, the full text content is indexed for searching automatically. Have you checked your Publish log files to see if there are any other issues occurring that may be affecting the final output?
just had a look now.
after the section "Updating topics...", the following lines are listed:
Warning: The size of stop file has to be limited in 512 bytes.
The file Itircl.dll has not been registered correctly.
but still at the end there are no files listed as not compiled and the final lines of the publish log are:
The "Stop" file is used by the indexing to skip/ignore specific words. It seems odd that it should balk at such a small size. Together with the error for the ltircl.dll, you might have an installation issue that is preventing the indexing from running properly.
ok, I'll ask my windows specialists in-house and see if we can come up with something.
thanks so much for your help thus far!
I would appreciate a solution to this as well. I have a book that is less than 100 pages long, I publish it to Microsoft HTML Help, and the Search does not work. I use default settings in FM 12.
Edit, new from here down: I was publishing from a server, so I tried moving all FM files to my local HD to see if it made a difference. It did not.
Using all default settings in FrameMaker 12.04.445, when I publish to Microsoft HTML Help, performing a search on anything results in the outcome: No topics found.
I have tested the search on many terms, and the result is always the same. The compiling process does not index the terms to make them searchable (or something).
However, I get a "FrameMaker Console" window that says the following (and I have no idea what it means—it could be unrelated):
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16214): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16336): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16351): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16366): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16457): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16472): Value of Separation out of range (10).
MIF: "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TPUBTMP1\5-LearningObjectivesTYKs.mif" (16487): Value of Separation out of range (10).
Any ideas would be appreciated. I need the output to be searchable. (If I publish to Responsive HTML5 or WebHelp, it is searchable. However, I need an output of one file.)
fwiw, your "separation out of range" message looks very similar to the one that sometimes stops my .books from distilling; and it's a mystery problem even the forum has not been able to solve. Of course, it could just be a coincidence that Separation 10 is fingered in both scenarios …
I'm having this issue also. My index works, the TOC works, but there are no topics found in the search results. The search function however works in webhelp.
***solved*** check that ITCC.dll has been registered, and if not, register it. This dll is used with the production of HTML help. I found mine here (FM version 2015) C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\fminit\Publisher\HtmlHelp\System32
What does it mean to register that dll? If it hasn't been registered, how does one "register" it? Pay money to MS?
Use the command - regsvr32.exe xxx.dll – depending if it is a 32 or 64 bit DLL, the location of regsvr32.exe changes to the \SYSWOW64\ folder
HTML Help (CHM file): Search not working
I was having the same issue (I'm using FM 2017). I wasn't able to get the Search to work when using Publish from FrameMaker and I ran into output issues when I tried WebWorks.
Solution: I downloaded HTML Help WorkShop and ran an install. It indicated that I already had a newer version of the app on my system, but I can now output HTML Help from FrameMaker and WebWorks and the Search works. Not sure if going through the installation process fixed a registry issue or something else.
For reference, here's the download location I used for Help WorkShop: Download HTML Help Workshop and Documentation from Official Microsoft Download Center
Hope this helps!