• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output formats of an unstructured FrameMaker document?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this question but I am a newbie to Adobe FrameMaker so, here goes -

Let's say I need to create a software installation/user guide in FrameMaker. I need the output in various formats obviously - PDF, online help, and so on. Can an unstructured document created in FrameMaker be used to generate different formats or do I need to create a structured document using DITA/XML?

Also, how does the formatting in structured documents work in FrameMaker? Any insights would be appreciated. I am currently getting the hang of DITA, and it sounds more practical to use it since my current and future projects call for it. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can unstructured FM produce multiple outputs? Yes.

Is structured FM more applicable? Maybe - depends on your amount of reuse and localization required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it make sense to create a structured document and then create different EDDs for multiple output formats?

Or create an unstructured document with the formatting and then convert it into a structured document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, since the whole point of structured is to not deal with formatting in your content, I would say that your second question is moot. AFAIK, you have to create different transforms to get your structured content out into different output formats. Your main focus should be on if you need to go structured or not. That's a whole different discussion & the answer depends on your particular situation. I would reach out to content strategy gurus like Matt Sullivan or the folks at Scriptorium for advice like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Looks like time for some brainstorming and then long discussions!

Thanks, Jeff_Coatsworth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might create separate EDDs for separate PDF outputs, as the EDD contains both the structure model (DITA or other model) and the formatting info.

However, if you have only one look and feel for your PDF output then you would only use 1 EDD. See the structured Fm forum for more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preeti,

Unstructured docs will get you everything you need, but structure can be more cost-efficient in a number of situations.

Structure helps with:

• enforcement of a rigid content model (for example, no Heading2 unless within a Heading1)
  • cost of localization
  • accessibility
  • searchability
  • contractual responsibility to deliver in a specific content model (significant in aviation and other industries)

If you have no need to deliver a specific structured document type (like DITA, a mil-spec, or aviation model) then you'll likely appreciate starting with an unstructured system. You can move later to structure.

While there is some duplication of effort using this method, it's easier to get a working system than starting cold with everything in a structured environment that will eventually be an advantage.

For an idea of what to expect in structure, I recommend looking at my two structured workbooks, available at http://techcommtools.com/books/

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Matt. I have been reading the pros and cons of both and will soon choose a strategy. Will keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Matt's list, well-designed structured documents help the user include all required document components in a permitted order and prevent including material that does not match a defined structure in a permitted context.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem creating a PDF and CHM or Responsive HTML.

You can use templates and conditional text to achieve fine tuning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines