• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

page count won't count total number of pages in all chapters.

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a weird problem with a book in FrameMaker 2020. It is a book with multiple chapters, and the footer in each chapter has a "<$curpagenum> of <$lastpagenum>" ("5 of 20" for instance).

While the counter works ok on the first page of the last chapter counting "5 of 20", the first page in the first chapter which should count "1 of 20", counts 1 of 5

The chapters numbering properties seem to be correct in the book with the first files page numbering starting at 1 and the following chapters/page numbers being set to "continue". For some reason the first chapters <$lastpagenum> does not reflect the books total number of pages even if I have updated the book.

I must be overlooking something... but what?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

The <$lastpagenum> variable only works at the document level, not the book level. I used to have a plug-in called BookPageCount which worked at the book level, but it is long since retired. If you need this at the book level, I may be able to code something in ExtendScript. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The <$lastpagenum> variable only works at the document level, not the book level. I used to have a plug-in called BookPageCount which worked at the book level, but it is long since retired. If you need this at the book level, I may be able to code something in ExtendScript. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a fast answer! Thank you. I have rarely used that function and never realised it was document wide only. Kind of strange actually. I guess I'll have to make it using cross references then. Thanks for the offer of a script!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StudioSm: I guess I'll have to make it using cross references then.

If it comes to that, as you might already know, you'll only be able to xref to a last chapter file page with Flow A content. Any empty pages auto-created, due to file-level page layout options, won't have any Flow A content on them to xref.

…now if FM had an option for Paragraph Pagination of: Bottom of left page
then we could create a small invisible Para type with which to end every chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have something! You wrote one called SetSelectedComponentsPageCount for me a couple years ago that should work just as well for @StudioSm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot about that one :-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@frameexpert The script "SetSelectedComponentsPageCount".... is it for sale?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bjørn, I sent you an email off list. Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines