Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbers in one chapter not updating correctly

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have one chapter in a book that is not showing the correct page numbers. The first page is number 7 followed by number 8, and then number 8 again. I have tried to update using Format > Document > Numbering and putting in the First Page (7) and clicking Set. That did not work. I tried Format > Document > Numbering and Continue Numbering from First Page in Book and clicking Set, and that did not work either. 

I checked the other chapters and the numbering setup is to Continue Numbering from First Page in Book.

I don't know what else to try. 

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Elizabeth 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Hi Elizabeth:

The master page has one page with the number 7 and one page with the nunber 8. There's a blank page after the last the page that should be numbered as 9. The next page is in a new chapter, and is number 11.

This is an entirely different situation than the first one you described. In this new scenario, assign the default right master to page (as always, without being able to see the file, we have to assume certain things—in this case that the page numbers are on the default master

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the frames connected? Are you using the same master page for the misnumbering page that you do for the previous one? Does the page after the misnumbering page have the correct page number (10) or is it incrementing from the misnumbered page (9)?

It would also help if you let us know what version of FM you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The master page has one page with the number 7 and one page with the nunber 8. There's a blank page after the last the page that should be numbered as 9. The next page is in a new chapter, and is number 11.

The FM version is 16.0.5.1096.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

I have one chapter in a book that is not showing the correct page numbers. The first page is number 7 followed by number 8, and then number 8 again.

FrameMaker does not support restarting the numbering within a single file. If you have two page 8's within one FrameMaker file, you are either dealing with corruption, or someone added manual numbers somewhere, and not the <$pagenum> variable to the master page like they should have. My money is on manual numbering.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be worthwhile in this case to see what the Master Page assignment is for any page with an unexpected number:
Format » Pages Layout » Master Page Usage
and then check that MP:
View » Master Pages
and see what construct is at the page number location, usually shown as:
#
which is system Variable <$curpagenum>, name: Current Page #

If that, then Number Properties for the file or book need a peek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank you for your information. 
I have looked at other chapters in the document I'm updating and have tried to follow the same format for the numbering, but am not having any luck at all. I don't know what else to do.  I checked the setting for the # and it is correct.
In the master page for the document what is the best thing to do to ensure that all the pages get numbered correctly? 

Cheers,

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have chapters in the same book where the pages are numbering correctly, then import the page layouts from the good document to the one you're having problems with instead of trying to figure out what the problem is.

1. File > Import > Formats
  2. In the Import from Document drop-down list, select a known good file
  3. Deselect everything
  4. Select Page Layouts
  5. Click Import

Check your numbering settings to make sure that the chapter/page numbering tabs are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

This is an entirely different situation than the first one you described. In this new scenario, assign the default right master to page (as always, without being able to see the file, we have to assume certain things—in this case that the page numbers are on the default masters—so assigning the default masters should make the page number reappear on page 9.

Most books start new chapters on the next odd page, so FrameMaker is doing the right thing by starting the following chapter on page 11. Left pages are always odd, right pages are always even. You can modify this setting by adjusting the Pagination for the selected files in the book window.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines