Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF/A-1b not compliant

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems PDF/A-1b files from FM are not compliant PDF/A-1b when testing in Acrobat. Tested with a simple lorem ipsum FM doc with an image. Report "xmp property not predefined and no extension schema".

Anyone else being able to replicate this?

Best regards.

Mats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

PDF/A-1 requires PDF version 1.3 or 1.4. Also, it does not support things like transparencies. I guess, this might be the reason, why not even the latest Creative Cloud apps (I just checked InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator) or FrameMaker support this any longer out-of-the-box. The only support that is there in the Creative Cloud apps currently is PDF/X-1a/b, PDF/X-2, PDF/X-3, and PDF/X-4.

However, you can use Acrobat Pro DC to convert a PDF to a PDF/A:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/pdf-x-pdf-a-pdf.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And using FM 16.0.3.979.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this. I did a first quick test, and I could reproduce this. I filled in the File Info for the FM document, and Acrobat Conformance Report reports the same error you get. However, XMP metadata is coming in the published PDF. We will investigate the exact issue and if it is a problem in FrameMaker or Acrobat Conformance Check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I was also curious why FM do not offer PDF/A-1a files as output, but ony -1b? Within many governmental organzations in Europe, only -1a is accepted for long-term archiving. Seems odd that much less advanced software like MS Word can generate compliant PDF/A-1a but not FM.

Best regards,

Mats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/A-1 requires PDF version 1.3 or 1.4. Also, it does not support things like transparencies. I guess, this might be the reason, why not even the latest Creative Cloud apps (I just checked InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator) or FrameMaker support this any longer out-of-the-box. The only support that is there in the Creative Cloud apps currently is PDF/X-1a/b, PDF/X-2, PDF/X-3, and PDF/X-4.

However, you can use Acrobat Pro DC to convert a PDF to a PDF/A:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/pdf-x-pdf-a-pdf.html

Note, that for PDFA/1-a you need activate the Tagged PDF option in FrameMaker's Publish Settings, as PDF/A requires tagged PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that route works when testing the following cases:

• FM > *.sts with PDF/A-1b 2005 (CMYK or RGB) + Create Tagged PDF > Conversion in Acrobat DC = Compliant PDF/A-1a
  • FM > *.sts with Press Quality + Create Tagged PDF > Conversion in Acrobat DC = Compliant PDF/A-1a 
  • FM > *.sts wit PDF/X-4 2008 + Create Tagged PDF > Conversion in Acrobat DC = Compliant PDF/A-1

Best regards,

Mats 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this, Stefan? I didn't see it in the Update 4 release notes.

Best regards,

Mats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/A-1b as per my original post, that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stefan-Gentz,

is there any update on this? I still cannot publish PDF-A/2b with Framemaker even though there is a predefined Joboption for this - which is throwing errors. Will this be fixed at some point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carolin1234 what version of FM are you using? Is it FM2022 (patch 2) as of June 2023?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I am using 15.0.8.982 (FM 2019). When I try to use the predefined PDF/A-2b joboption with Distiller, I get an error message (this is also the case for my colleague using the current FM).

If I do not use the Distiller but publish within FM, there is no error and I get a PDF file, but it is not PDF/A. I have two other colleagues - same FM 2019 version - who have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Stefan above, you have to convert it after generating. You might also check out FM2022 to see if anything has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I know I can use Acrobat for that. However, I can convert any PDF with Acrobat, I don't need the FM Joboption for that, so why does FM offer a joboption at all?

My colleague using FM 2022 can create PDF/A-2b with FM, yes. But due to infrastructure building on FM 2019, we cannot upgrade.

Mh. I guess we use Acrobat instead. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines