• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pgf box color not applied to entire cell when font size is different then other cells in row

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker is the latest 2020 version with the latest update.

I had this same issue on the second row of the table but I was able to get rid of this white banding at the top and bottom of the cells by playing with the "Cell Margins" settings on the "Table Cell" section of the applied paragraph style. I think that the reason for being able to get rid of the white bands in those cells was that their font size was the same as the first row and also the same as the straddled cells in the first 2 columns.

In this case, the font size in the second column which have these white bands is 9 points whereas the rest of the row has styles with 11 points sized fonts.

I've played with the "Cell Margins" settings in the "Table Cell" section of the paragraph style but had no success. I've even have entered negative values but the white bands always do appear. I've also tried playing with the "Cell Padding" settings in the table style and again I had no success. Also playing with the table style does affect other tables so I rather don't want to solve this problem via the table style settings.

Is there a way to solve this issue or should I give up on using the paragraph box coloring method?

Framemaker.Table.Cell.Padding.Pgf.Color.Band.Issue.jpg

Framemaker.Table.Cell.Paragraph.Style.Basic.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Paragraph.Style.Font.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Paragraph.Style.Advanced.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Paragraph.Style.Table.Cell.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Table.Style.Basic.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Table.Style.Ruling.Section.jpgFramemaker.Table.Cell.Table.Style.Shading.Section.jpg

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

As Bjørn says, Custom Ruling and Shading is the most reliable way to color these cells. I can understand why you would want to use Paragraph Formats for this because they are easier to apply than Custom Ruling and Shading. But it does give me an idea for a clever script that would apply Shading to a cell based on the Paragraph Format of the paragraph in the cell.

You would have a settings file something like this:

<settings>
  <style pgffmt="FirstColumnGreyTop" cellcolor="Grey"/>
</settings>

T

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can make it work using paragraph styles. The last option is to put graphics above and below paragraph, but while that will work outside of tables, it does not seem to work INSIDE tables. I believe it is "Custom ruling and shading" to make it work. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bjørn says, Custom Ruling and Shading is the most reliable way to color these cells. I can understand why you would want to use Paragraph Formats for this because they are easier to apply than Custom Ruling and Shading. But it does give me an idea for a clever script that would apply Shading to a cell based on the Paragraph Format of the paragraph in the cell.

You would have a settings file something like this:

<settings>
  <style pgffmt="FirstColumnGreyTop" cellcolor="Grey"/>
</settings>

The script would automatically go through each table and shade the cells based on any matching paragraph formats in the settings file. I could even add custom ruling options.

Hmmm, you gave me an idea, but now I need time to write the code :-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just managed to solve my issue thanks to both of you. As I've expressed before, I'm a newbie and I wasn't aware of "Custom Ruling and Shading". The ability to customize tables, makes me think about overrides. I hope that such customizations won't corrupt my table styles but only affect specific cells or it will get much more complex for me to track and handle customized tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. Custom ruling and shading will not affect your table styles.

When you update your table style with the Table Designer, the ruling and shading customization will be kept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines