• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing an FM document in CMYK causes embedding problems with font 'Arial Unicode MS'

Contributor ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to print an FM document in CMYK.

There is only one paragraph tag used in the document.

The paragraph tag includes the font 'Arial Unicode MS'.

The PDF has to be in CMYK (Print vendor's requirement).

The font has to be 'Arial Unicode MS'.

1. Choose File > Save as PDF...
  2. Choose the PDF-Joboption 'High Quality Print'.
  3. Deselect the option 'Convert CMYK to RGB'.

The PDF creation is faultless.

But the embedding of the font is faulty:

'Arial Unicode MS' is a True type font (TTF).

But Acrobat 'thinks', it's an Adobe 'Type 1' font.

The result is that the PDF is not searchable.

But it has to be searchable.

FM versions: FM10.0.2 or FM 2015 -> Same result

Where did I go wrong?

How can I force the correct embedding of 'Arial Unicode MS' in a CMYK PDF file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it has to do with the font. Can you double check that the appropriate font is in use, and that all versions of the font are actually installed?

Make sure that subsetting of the font is disabled as well.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the hints.

1. In this case, whether subsetting is enabled or disabled doesn't matter. The embedding of 'Arial Unicode MS' is always faulty.
  2. What do you mean by 'all versions of the font are actually installed'? There is only one 'Arial Unicode MS' file in my windows fonts folder: 'arialuni.ttf' (Version: 1.01).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lothar,

you probably can't do anything about it, the Arial Unicode font is highly problematic. There's a similar thread about text which cannot be searched in a PDF. I've done several tests, and the results showed that it's definitely the font which makes the difference: http://www.meissner-dokuteam.de/Files/Frame/Test_FM_imported_graphics_2.pdf

There's a minor difference because the thread above is about imported PDF graphics which are not searchable in FrameMaker PDF output, but it's basically the same problem.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for the help.

It can be a problem with 'Arial Unicode MS'. But I think, it's not only a font problem:

• Using 'Arial Unicode MS' in FrameMaker (with the RGB option) works fine. The font is correctly embedded in the PDF file: TTF + searchable.

• Using 'Arial Unicode MS' in InDesign (Paragraph tag using 'Arial Unicode MS' and a CMYK color) works fine, too. Correct embedding + Searchability in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines