Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with bullets when publishing

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, first time posting here.

I have some templates that we had made years ago that have stuck with us through several upgrades and we are now using in Framemaker 2017.  They still work fine for print and PDF outputs.  However, I would like to start publishing them to EPUB and HTML5.  I've been playing around with HTML5 so far and everything looks fine, except our "Bullet1" format comes across as an "n" instead of a bullet.

I've sorted out that this is due to it being defined as a wingding font (n presumably) in the master template.  I'm just not clued in on either how to change it or what to change it to.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I would rather not just start fresh with new templates as these do what we need them to do for the most part.

Thanks,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Hi Mike, check the mapping in your publishing pod settings. Set the Autonumber options to Convert to HTML List

From there you may still need to do some CSS work to get your custom bullets, but it'll give you the ul and li tags you want for easier formatting of the HTML.

Capture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, check the mapping in your publishing pod settings. Set the Autonumber options to Convert to HTML List

From there you may still need to do some CSS work to get your custom bullets, but it'll give you the ul and li tags you want for easier formatting of the HTML.

Capture1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks promising.... but you found that menu where?  Sorry, upgraded from 9 a week ago still finding my way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Got it, and it worked!
  • Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you could use an overview...

A quick guide to mobile publishing with FrameMaker 12 - Tech Comm Tools

It's from a few versions back, but still pretty relevant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: I've sorted out that this is due to it being defined as a wingding font (n presumably) in the master template.  I'm just not clued in on either how to change it or what to change it to.

Chances are that the "Bullet1" Paragraph Format has a Numbering property of something like:
Autonumber Format: [n\t     ]

CharacterFormat: WingDings

Either change it back to the FM default:

Autonumber Format: [\b\t     ]

CharacterFormat: Default ¶ Font

Or find a Unicode font that mimics the WingDings bullet, use it explicitly with a new Character Format that invokes that font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines