• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Home page in .chm Help published from FrameMaker 2019

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When I generate a Microsoft HTML Help file (.chm) from FrameMaker 2019, the Home selection from the Options menu.

hitch66_2-1594158116641.png

Is there any way to fix this within FrameMaker 2019. 

I know, .chm is an ancient relic and RoboHelp is a far more effective way to generate this archaic brand of help. But I am a temporary contractor working with the tools supplied by my client—only allowed to use in-house software.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First is to check your FrameMaker version. The newest one is 15.0.6.956.

As far as I know the publishing engine in FrameMaker and RoboHelp is the same. Only the configuration might be simpler in RoboHelp. Therefore FrameMaker is fine.

Where is your chm file stored? You get this kind of message, when the chm file is not on a local drive, but on a network.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winifred,

I am using version 15.0.6.956. The .chm file is on my local c: drive, yet I still get this error message when I select Home. Is there any way to fix this using FrameMaker 2019? Thanks, Rick 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have IE installed on that machine where you're trying to view it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have IE 11. So does the developer I am working with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, according to Stackoverflow -

"The problems can also occur if the CHM file name or the path to the file contains a number sign (#). If the CHM file name contains the # symbol, then the topics in the table of contents do not appear. If the path contains the # symbol, then you may receive an access violation error message. To work around this issue, remove the # symbol from the file name or from the path to the file."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither the file name nor the path have an # character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can suggest is trying a new set of FM dummy text files and creating a CHM and see if it behaves the same way - if it does, then you've probably found a bug; if it doesn't, then it's an indication of something in the misbehaving FM files. You might also try opening up the "bad" CHM with the HTML Help Workshop tool to see if it can straighten it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, 

Unfortunately, I get the same result with all .chm files I publish from FrameMaker. And, I do not see any way that I can fix the problem using HTML Help Workshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the FM folks a ping at tcssup@adobe.com & see what they have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines