• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems updating the formatting in a LOF generated page (Framemaker 2019 v15.0.1.430)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in Framemaker 2019 v15.0.1.430, I just generated a list of figures (LOF) page, but even if I change a paragraph tag to add some formatting (trying to add a title) there is no change, I tried importing the formats from an empty document with just the formatting I need but there is no change, I even checked the reference page and I see a style ActiveLOF.xml not listen on the paragraph catalog, is there a bug in this workflow or am I doing something wrong ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Erik

PS

This happens on the first line of the LOF document, when I enter a hard return I can add some formatting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Not really certain what you're describing, but generally speaking you have to first generate the LOF, then insert a line before its first entry and type your heading in it and apply whatever tag needed to format it. Regenerations do not remove the title.

If you want to add more tags to be included in a generated list, you have to do it through the Set Up window. Simply adding a new tag to the paragraph catalog won't add it to the "tags I'm looking for" list that Frame uses to pull information int

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOF, LOT, and TOC files all work the same way. When you initially set them up, Frame adds a special reference page that controls what information is presented when the file is generated. Once they're generated, new tags based on the tags chosen to show up in the file are created that control how the information appears. These tags always end with the 3 letters that identify the type of generated file tacked onto the end of the tag being included in the generated file. So if you have included Heading1, Heading2, and Heading3 in a TOC, the tags controlling the formatting in the TOC are Heading1TOC, Heading2TOC, and Heading3TOC.

In your case, you need to find any paragraph tag with "LOF" at the VERY END and edit the properties in the paragraph designer.

ActiveLOF.xml is not a valid LOF tag. If the tag being included in the LOF is "Active", then the format used when the file is generated is "ActiveLOF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than kyou linsims​, I think is just a small bug, I was trying to add for example a title to the LOF, I created a new paragraph tag and applied it to the first line in the generated file, but for some reason no formatting appears, I had to press RETURN a couple of times, type the title, apply the style and delete those inserted lines, that worked.

I did what you are explaining, I added the LOF and TOF suffix to the paragrapgh tag of those files to add some formatting, that works ok.

Another kind of strange behavior, also happens when I do this: my book only has Heading1 and Heading2, I create the LOF by importing those styles and Heading1LOF and Heading2LOF are automatically created, but for example if I add a Heading3 later on, in the main book, and try to manually create the Heading3LOF inside the LOF document, when I update the book the style Heading3LOF is not applied, I had to manually (with the windows file manager) delete the bookLOF.fm file and generate it again, after this I now import the Heading1, Heading2 and Heading3 in this window and re-create the LOF, then I can edit those paragraph tags and apply some formatting. (sorry if I mention the word "style" instead of paragraph tag I'm a MS word user and trying to move to framemaker).

LOFinitialSetup.jpg

Thank you again for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really certain what you're describing, but generally speaking you have to first generate the LOF, then insert a line before its first entry and type your heading in it and apply whatever tag needed to format it. Regenerations do not remove the title.

If you want to add more tags to be included in a generated list, you have to do it through the Set Up window. Simply adding a new tag to the paragraph catalog won't add it to the "tags I'm looking for" list that Frame uses to pull information into the generated files.

You should not add "TOC" or "LOF" to the end of a tag name or manually create the *TOC/*LOF/*LOT tags. Frame does that automatically when you generate the file for the first time, then you edit the tag it creates. I'm not entirely certain what happens if you simply create the *LOF tag manually, but I suspect Frame won't like it (and it sounds like it doesn't).

It sounds like you are almost but not quite doing the process for creating a generated file correctly, and it might be easier for you to delete the LOF file and start from scratch.

1. Open the book file for the document you are generating an LOF for.

2. Select the chapter file that will come AFTER the LOF.

3. Click Insert > List of > Figures

4. In the Set Up List of Figures window, select all the tags for the figures you want to include in the LOF.

5. Click OK.

6. Select the book file and click Edit > Update Book. This regenerates the generated files.

7. Open the *LOF file.

8. View the reference pages (View > Reference).

9. Find the reference page labeled LOF.

10. Put your cursor in one of the lines that controls the information included in your LOF.

11. Open the paragraph designer and edit the settings, then click Update Style.

12. Go back to the body page (View > Body) and regenerate the book.

This should result in a fresh LOF with the correct formatting.

By the way, I suggest you invest in something like the Tech Comm Tools book, FRAMEMAKER: Working with Content, by Matt Sullivan. It's an excellent reference and will walk you through pretty much anything you need to know how to do in Frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you linsims I followed that workflow from scratch again, the formatting is working now, I think I must double check with the recommended book, in fact I have bought the book, is a very nice book full of features, I'v also seen the short videos in the "Introducing Framemaker 2019" techcommtools site, (https://techcommtools.teachable.com/p/fm2019intro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik:

(trying to add a title)

The generated files have a short list of rules that you must follow, or they don't work the way you want them to. There is a rule to for adding titles to a generated file:

1. It must be the first paragraph in the flow (so type it above the first entry on body page 1)
  2. The paragraph tag name may not end with the suffix for the generated file. (for an LOT, the paragraph tag name for the title cannot end in LOT.)

For example:

ChapterTitle is fine for your title, but ChapterTitleLOT is not. FrameMaker gets to remove and replace any paragraph tags that end with LOT when you update the book.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you BarbBinder​, I didn't know those rules, I started from scratch as linsims​recommended everything is ok now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines