• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems using SharePoint 2013 as repository for FrameMaker 2020

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our team needs a repository for FrameMaker documents.

The first try is a SharePoint environment - but I ran in a few problems while testing.

I uploaded all data in the same directory structure as on my own computer. But the linking to graphics or to reference items get broken. 

In a second step, I wanted to test if editing offline is possible. I downloaded the FrameMaker items as directory. Now, it is not possible to open an .fm document. Instead, it has to be converted from a txt or xml file format. The uploaded fm documents are native fm, not xml or txt format.

After I studied the SharePoint 2013 help, I'm not really convinced that FrameMaker file formats are supported by SharePoint in the same way as Microsoft Office products. 

How deep is the integration of FrameMaker in SharePoint?

Is there a better choice for a repository than SharePoint - maybe Git/GitHub, Tortoise SVN, or SubVersion? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, you can only use SP to act as "holder" for your FM files - to work on them, you have to check out the files to your local machine, edit them, then check them back into SP.

I believe you can also host FM HTML5 output on SP servers too via the Publish pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the FM files out and downloaded them. 

First try: using SharePoint. The download was performed to \users\...\ folder. The links are broken. The document is empty.

Next try: using FM repository. The download was performed to the designed fm-doc folder, but the document is not existing in that folder - or somewhere else.

Looking up the online help of Adobe, it should be easy and working just out-of-the-box - without any special configurational steps.

But it does not work. 

Can SharePoint really be used as a full-fledged repository for fm-documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I have no experience with any version control software (one-man shop here), I suggest you touch base with the FM folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your support contact options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines