• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"effortless EDD creation" crashes FM, which then refuses to restart :-{

Advisor ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title suggests … I was doing my best to follow the fairly arcane instructions in https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/dita/index.html#t=book%2FCustomiseDita.html, clicked as instructed and bam: "serious problem and must quit".

FM now refuses to restart, and mentions a directory C:\Users\{id}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\15 that doesn't even exist on my corporate laptop!

I'm in a chat session with Adobe Support, but feel from the tone of the questions I have not yet reached anyone likely to understand the problem. Sympathy would be welcome! advice, even more so.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

I work with unstructured files. Therefore I do not know what to do.

Just two questions:

Do you have the latest update 5?

Can you access the AppData\Roaming folder, but not the specific folder for FrameMaker\15?

Possibly you must display hidden files and folders. The setting is in View menu and there in the options.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

I work regularly on structure and EDD but never encountered problem like this.

I recommend you to contact Adobe support(tcssup@adobe.com) or your internal IT support for solving this .

-Pulkit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone!

@Winfried – you were quite right about the hidden files. Somehow, I've managed to reach an advanced age ;-} without ever realising Windows had such things, though I'm familiar with them under Linux.

@Pulkit – one reason why I swiftly gave up on FM12 as a DITA editor was the apparent impossibility of simply saying "for this element, use this style". I realise it's a bit more complex than that, but my day-to-day DITA tool has let me set up an indent on all body content, set the base font and set the spot colour for various types of title – pretty well everything I need! So I was rather hoping that "effortless EDD creation" would just be a more impressive name for the same functionality.

The solution Adobe recommended, once I'd discovered the hidden folders, was to rename some of them and then restart FM2019. This worked, luckily. It seems to me I've seen other people mentioning problems with a Linguistics folder? but I don't really need to know. I shall avoid repeating the experiment with CustomiseDITA.html until I can get knowledgeable someone sitting next to me … and carry on being productive with another tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lets look at this issue as well during the call.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Email: amisingh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines