Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Manually-created" cross-references not working in PDF

Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

In instances where we wanted to have custom text act as a cross-reference link (i.e., not the destination's text, or a topic title, etc.), we created "gotolink" and "newlink" markers. The links work within Frame, but some are not working in the PDF output (some, however, are).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Using version 14.0.0361

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Just to update:

We found inconsistencies between the "goto" and "new" links. The strange part is that these links still worked in Frame and were only broken in the PDF output. Which seems very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to put a character format (can be an "invisble" one) on the marker and all text after it that you want to include as a "link". Does that solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

It didn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then we'll need more details on how you set this up. You are calling them cross-references—are they actual cross-references (i.e., for more information, see. XXX on page X..) or are they navigational links?

If cross-reference, are you aware that you can reference a paragraph (i.e., a chapter title, subtitle, table title, figure title) or a cross reference marker that you insert where ever you like, that doesn't use the destination's text?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"you can reference a paragraph (i.e., a chapter title, subtitle, table title, figure title) or a cross reference marker that you insert where ever you like, that doesn't use the destination's text"

Could you elaborate?

If there's a better solution then the problem we're experiencing may be moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. There are two types of x-refs: paragraph and spot. Normally, one uses paragraph x-refs for referencing headings (the marker is added to the beginning of the heading automatically), and spot cross-refs are used to reference something inside a multi-line paragraph (because you can add the marker anywhere you like). I'm still not clear on your workflow—so not sure if this is what you are looking for—but here is how the spot x-refs work.

Spot x-refs are two-step process:

1. Using the Marker pod, manually insert an x-ref marker in a document at any location.
    VMware Fusionss_007.png
  2. When you are ready to add the x-ref, change the Cross-Reference pod to Source Type: Cross-Reference Markers and select the marker from the list of all x-ref markers, then continue as per paragraph x-refs.
    VMware Fusionss_009.png

With both types, Fm monitors the position of the the marker, and updates the page number in the x-ref when you update your book or file. These work reliably in PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my specific use case:

I have two procedures in a manual (procA and procB). The following sentence appears in procA:

"If an appliance (e.g., furnace) has already been approved for construction heat and has a construction heat sticker affixed to it..."

The bold "construction heat" is a link to procB's title.

I set it up by adding a "newlink" marker to procB's title. Then I added a "gotolink" marker to "construction heat". I used this method to preserve the "construction heat" text rather than replacing it with procB's title/page number/other typical cross-ref styles.

This "newlink/gotolink" method worked for 90% or so of these types of links throughout the manual. Some, however, are working in Frame, but not working in the PDF output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that really isn't an Fm x-ref, it's a navigational link.

1. How are you bolding construction heat? Are you using a character tag?
  2. Where exactly is the marker in construction heat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"construction heat" has a character tag applied.

I highlighted both words and added the maker, which FM placed before the letter "c".

For the "newlink" side of things, the marker was just placed at the beginning of the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the marker into the text, right in front of heat. Does that make a difference in the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making that change, only "heat" works as the link in Frame and it still does not work in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, here's why I'd try next:

1. Leave the marker in front of heat
  2. Select the words "approved for construction heat and has".
  3. Click on Default ¶ Font in Format > Character > Catalog to remove any character formatting. Does the text look like the rest of the paragraph now? Assuming yes,

4. Reassign the Bold format from the Catalog (not using the bold button in the toolbar at the top) to construction heat.
  5. Try it again.

Here's the deal with links: in text, there are 2 potential hotspots:

1. If a hypertext link is in a paragraph with no character tags, you can click anywhere within the paragraph and the link is activated.
  2. If the link is inside a character tag within the paragraph, then you have to click on the text formatted with the character tag for the link to activate.

I'm questioning how the character formatting was applied, based on your reports, so I'm asking you to remove all character tags and retag it to see if it works.

If it is quicker for you to post the file on dropbox, you are welcome to post a link to it here (publicly) or you can message me privately (click my name and click on message) and I'd happy to take a look. As a heads up, I'm leaving the office in a few hours and won't be back online until late on Sunday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change in the result. (And as an FYI, we don't use Bold, we use a character tag called Hyperlink, so that's not the issue).

Unfortunately, we don't have access to Dropbox through our firewall. Is there an email address I could send the files to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot Barb a Private Message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it, and it works for me. This is how I did it:

1. Create a Hypertext marker with the command "Specify named destination" in the "target" paragraph.
    Content: newlink construction-heat

2. Create a Hypertext marker in front of the "link text" with the content "gotolink construction-heat":

3. Create a character style "hyperlink" and marked up both the link text and the marker with this character style. The important thing is, that the marker and the "link text" must have the same character style applied so that FM knows, they belong together.

When I create a PDF, it works as expected, and I can click anywhere on "construction heat" and it jumps to the paragraph where the named destination marker is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to update:

We found inconsistencies between the "goto" and "new" links. The strange part is that these links still worked in Frame and were only broken in the PDF output. Which seems very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines