• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Next Paragraph Tag"; how to use with copied/pasted text?

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lines in my document which use three different paragraph styles in each line. I set up my styles, the first two set as run-in and the last in-column. Then I selected "Next Paragraph Tag" and chose the appropriate style which should follow in succession. This seems to work so long as I start with the first style and type directly into FM, hotting return when I want the next paragraph style to kick in. But I can't seem to get it to work when copying and pasting text, either unformatted from Word or from elsewhere in the FM document. Am I doing somethign wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

It appears that the Next Paragraph Tag: attribute may only apply to how the [Return] key is handled. I just confirmed your report by pasting from Notepad. FM clearly sees all the pasted paras as paras, but they all get the current para format.

I've been using FM for 30 years now, and never noticed, because anything pasted in is either coming from FM (and already has needed formats), or is coming from who-knows-where, and needs formats firmly applied post-paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the Next Paragraph Tag: attribute may only apply to how the [Return] key is handled. I just confirmed your report by pasting from Notepad. FM clearly sees all the pasted paras as paras, but they all get the current para format.

I've been using FM for 30 years now, and never noticed, because anything pasted in is either coming from FM (and already has needed formats), or is coming from who-knows-where, and needs formats firmly applied post-paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob; I really appreciate your help.

I hope maybe FM will eventually allow for an option to apply those Next Paragraph Tags on copied text; I was thinking it could work like IDs "Nested Styles", which I use often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only use unstructured FM, so it's possible that using structured, FM might behave that way, or could be made to do so. I'm sure it could be scripted.

In unstruc, today's behavior amounts to just a keyboard shortcut. The NextPara attribute in the Format is really just a hint.

If it were used to preset multiple formats on paste-as-plain, it would arguably be imposing structure in unstructured mode. It might also have to be carefully code-checked to ensure that it didn't remove existing deliberate overrides of format sequencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines