Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quotation Marks

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 2017 here.

I'm having trouble making my quotation marks straight.  I click Edit > Preferences > Spelling Options and mark/unmark the Straight Quotes ("), but I get the same results regardless of whether the checkbox is marked or not.

I can insert a straight quote using the \x27 code and do a Find/Replace of the existing curly quote but it replaces the curly quote with another curly quote.

The only thing that works is Find/Change by pasting. 

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Hi Doug,

In FM 2019 in the Preferences I only select the options which will be found by the spelling check.

When I want to change which quotes should be entered, then I change this in Format | Document | Text Options.

I forgot whether this was the same in earlier FM versions. You have to check this out.

Or open the help and search for smart quotes.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

In FM 2019 in the Preferences I only select the options which will be found by the spelling check.

When I want to change which quotes should be entered, then I change this in Format | Document | Text Options.

I forgot whether this was the same in earlier FM versions. You have to check this out.

Or open the help and search for smart quotes.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I forgot about Format > Document > Text Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug:

What is the scenario? Always straight quotes? A straight quote after a number to represent inches?

For one at a time, tap Esc " to turn off smart quotes for that one instance. Regex could change a bunch of them but we'd need to see the scenario first.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines