• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing outdated color names from many, many files

Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to rename color definitions in many, many files, or to delete color definitions using old format names in favor of the new ones that have already been added?

I'm trying to clean some things up in my documents and the idea of having to remove 10 or so color definitions, one-by-one, from a few hundred files is making me blanch. (Yes, I could leave them in, but it offends my sense of tidiness.)

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

I am pretty sure that someone has a scripting solution for this.

However, I would just ignore this.

When your colors are from imported graphics files, then you could do a MIF wash. As far as I know, this removes those colors which come from graphics files. Of course only, if this graphics file is no longer in the FM file.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not a critical need, more a want for things to be tidy. Also, if I ever have to update the color definitions for the corporate branding colors, it would be good if the older colors aren't in use anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lin,

I have a very powerful tool to manage colours.
It analyses a document, shows where colours are used (character formats, paragraph formats, graphics etc).
You can then selectively replace the colours in the individual formats.
Unused formats are offered for deletion.
Another addon compares the colour definitions in different documents and shows both the differences in the colour definition and whether the colour is used.
But the addon package is not yet published because the documentation is still missing.
But I could send you a demo version with a rudimentary description.
By when do you need the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Klaus.

I would be interested in this as well, though it is not at all urgent for me.

However, I have FM 13 (2015), so it would be relevant only if it worked on that version.

Thanks,

Shalom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a LOT more information than I need ... Mostly I was hoping there was something like Rick's FindChangeBatchFormats script. 

Still, that could be fun to play with. It isn't a driving need, just something I want to clean up, so no hurry. (No, really, I want it yesterday ... 😉 )

It isn't a driving need, it's just one of those things I'd prefer was fixed, if only because if I update the corporate branding colors I'd be most likely to do it only to the colors named with the current naming convention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines