• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reuse a topic in a ditamap

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a simple method for doing this, but my FrameMaker/DITA experience is not great yet.
I have a ditamap where I would like to reuse a topic. It is a boilerplate topic that is used more than once throughout the document.

When I try to attach the same topic to the ditamap, my output fails.

Can I not use the same topic/filename twice in one ditamap? Is this where conkeyrefs come in? I understand how in HTML5 output you might end up with a duplicate URL, but there must be a way of reusing a file without making a copy and changing the name.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love some help on this. I don't know if I'm asking too much of FrameMaker Dita. Simply put, what if I have a 5-step task topic that is used every chapter in ditamap. Liking it once works fine, If I try to use it twice, the build fails. I am stumped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When you say it fails didnt understand it. Can you share some more details or if possible share a small sample with me at amitosin@adobe.com so i could look into this and work with you on resolving your query.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amitoj

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have created a simple ditamap in which I reuse a topic called: FileDemo.dita, separated by topics called: Break1 and Break2

When I Publish to PDF the FileDemo.dita is missing, only the Break files show up.

Please note, we use a redirector file to use a different set of template files. I don’t know if this should impact my output.

I have attached the Published PDF as is and a Zip file containing the DITA files.

Thanks for your help with this!

Matt Lorenzi

Technical Writer

Alpha Technologies Ltd.

T: +1 604 677 8219

www.alpha.ca<https://www.alpha.ca/>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appear something lies with my .ini file and the templates I am using to generate the PDF. At least knowing this tells my nothing is wrong with my ditamap or dita syntax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still plugging away at finding a solution to this. If I do not use our .INI file to use our custom templates, the output works fine. But we are using the .INI to generate the TOC, LOF, and load other template files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the error i get in my console:

FM document generated from DITA Map, but with errors. Please refer to console for errors.C:\Users\aaa_bbb\AppData\Local\Temp\D4F4.tmp\FileDemo.fm already exists as a file component in book.

So FrameMaker doesn't like reusing a topic in a book, but surely there must be a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines