• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RTL support damaged in FM-15 and FM-14?

Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to describe the set up for pargraphs with automatic numbering in Hebrew (Keep in mind: I can not read/understand Hebrew), it is just my example of RTL language.

I have a paragraph containing the Hebrew text wihich reads from right to left and want to have it adjusted correctly (on the right marginI. The I wanted it to have an indent of 1cm for automatic numbering.

• As long as the direction is LTR the layout is OK, but for Hebrew text the numbering should be on the right side, where the reading starts.
  • As soon as I change the direction from LTR to RTL the text mostly disappears behind the right side of the text frame...

So I set up the whole thing in FM-13 (2015) which introduced RTL support. Here I can get what I expect:

Hebrew-in-FM-13[1].png

Hebrew-in-FM-13-setup[1].png
But when importing the file into FM-14.0.4.512 or FM 15.0.5.838 most of the text disappears into the area right to the text frame:

Hebrew-in-FM-15[1].png

The FM-13 file can be found here.

Since I have other strange effects in my current FM-15 (see Thesaurus) I ask you to verify this behaviour (although I only recently re-installed the latest FM-15).

Thanks for Your help.

Klaus

TOPICS
Error , Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

The outcome of this day is positive, although it was difficult to find what causes this problem and the other one (thesaurus):

• Check the differences in WIn updates - the one that exists only on my system can not be removed, because it is not listed in the in installed updates...
  • Compaare the .NET versions: on Inge's machine is only .NET 4.8, on mine there are in addition 3.5 SP1, 3.0 SP2, 2.0 SP2
  • Compare the Visual C++ redistributables: remove on my system older levels of the 2013 version; replace

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Findings

I installed FM-15.0.5.838 on the Wind10 machine of my wife - which is a plain vanilla installation - and the problem I have on my machine does not occur! Hence FM is definitely not the cause of the problem.

Although both machines have exactly the same Win10-status (OSbuild 10.0.18363.778) there is one noticable difference:

My machine has these directories: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics and %AppData%\Adobe\Linguistics

Inge's machine: no such directory

I really don't understand why these directories exist - the very same content can be found in each of my FM installation starting with FM-12:  $HOME\FMxx\fminit\Linguistics

→ Renaming these Linguistics to !_Linguistics did not make any difference for the problem.

So a mor elaborate search for the culprit on my system starts ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

I have FM 15.0.5.838, and I have these directories:

c:\Users\<MyUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Linguistics\

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\Linguistics\

Not exactly your directories.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The outcome of this day is positive, although it was difficult to find what causes this problem and the other one (thesaurus):

• Check the differences in WIn updates - the one that exists only on my system can not be removed, because it is not listed in the in installed updates...
  • Compaare the .NET versions: on Inge's machine is only .NET 4.8, on mine there are in addition 3.5 SP1, 3.0 SP2, 2.0 SP2
  • Compare the Visual C++ redistributables: remove on my system older levels of the 2013 version; replace the 2017 version by the 2015-2019 version
  • Uninstall and re-install FM-14 and FM-15
  • They work both in their native installations, so I try to successively restore to my standard settings.
  • FM-14 has no problem with my StartUp items and ETB → this works as expected, problem solved here.

For FM-15 i'm careful and start with the standard maker.ini as it is from the fresh installation.

• ETB and plug-ins do not re-create the problems, but as soon as I just use my old maker.ini things don't work any more.
  • So I walk through the maker.ini settings until I find the culprit:

; The follwoing setting ruins the RTL function
; ForceAsianLayout=On
SwitchToAsianLayoutDialog=On​

ForceAsianLayout must not exist (not be set) hence I commented it out

• and now can go the drawer and take a drink!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines