• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runaround Properties Default Setting (FM10)

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but one of my coworkers has asked me if there's a way to change the default setting for Runaround Properties of imported graphics, and I can't find anything in my own nosing around (nor, BTW, does "runaround properties" appear as a term in the index of any reference book I have!).

We use FM10 to publish technical books (mostly proposals and contract-deliverable reports), and we virtually never actually place graphics directly within text. Instead, all our graphics are contained in anchored frames, along with figure captions in text frames, and whatever limited text runaround we do is controlled by the frame settings. As such, we pretty much never need an imported graphic set to Run Around Contour, which is the default; instead, we want Don't Run Around, which gives us greater page-fitting freedom because we can place the caption's text frame closer to the edge of the graphic without getting runaround effects.

This isn't a problem very often, but when it is, we have to manually reset the graphic's runaround properties. Do any of you know a way to change the default? And, just to throw in another wrinkle... we're in the planning process to upgrade to TCS2017: Will the answer I get here for FM10 be valid, invalid, or moot in FM2017?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Sorry got the name wrong - Object Styles - Object styles - looks like they came in on FM11 - Unstructured Authoring Post #2: Object Styles in FrameMaker 11 – TechComm Central by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look up "Object Properties"? Not sure which version added that stuff - it's like a "style" for images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. Object Properties is a pod in FM10, but there's no obvious way to save a set of properties as a named "style" (as in a paragraph or character tag)... and in any case, Runaround Properties is a separate pod (also without any obvious save option), and there doesn't seem to be any overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry got the name wrong - Object Styles - Object styles - looks like they came in on FM11 - Unstructured Authoring Post #2: Object Styles in FrameMaker 11 – TechComm Central by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, this looks like it does it! It's not explicitly covered in the video example, but Runaround Properties is on the list of things controlled by Object Styles, so I think it answers my need. Which means we can't do it yet, but assuming this FM11 capability is conserved in FM2017, we will be able to after our upgrade. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines