Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious internal error, or FM8 closes without message

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on FrameMaker8.  It was working fine on Friday.  Now it's Monday morning and I have two problems:

1. In some books I can open the .book file but not any other files.  They give a serious internal error and there is no way to continue.

2. In other books FM opens the files with no problem, it stays open for a couple of seconds, then the whole thing just disappears.  It's not on the task bar at the bottom of the screen, and it's not in Task Manager.  It just closes, with no message or anything.

I've uninstalled FrameMaker8 and reinstalled it.  I've rebooted my machine several times, but the problem persists.  I can't work at all!

If anyone has any suggestions for a solution, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much,

Mairi Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mairi Jane,

What's your operating system? FrameMaker 8 is rather old. FrameMaker 9 came out 10 years ago. Definitely not tested on Windows 10. Still FM 8 might run on Windows 10. Did you change anything? Did you update anything?

Can you open the files from your file manager?

Are there any graphics in the files? Can you hide the graphics in View | Options and then try to open the files?

Do you do anything when you open your files? Or do you just open the files and then wait for some seconds, and then FM closes?

I guess you do not have enough time to save your files as MIF? Then you could open the MIF and save again as FM and see, if FM now stays open.

Can you create a new file with the default template and do some changes and close it and open it?

If this works, can you create a new book with this file? Can you open the file from the book or only from your file manager?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Thank you for your reply.

We had to move to Windows 10 recently, so I have a new machine and a new Windows 10.  The support team did that migration, then I installed FrameMaker8 myself last week.  It was working fine when I finished work on Friday afternoon, then when I tried to open files this morning (Monday), it didn't work at all.

It doesn't stay open long enough to save as MIF.

Also, even tiny files without graphics, such as the preface, give the serious internal error.

The problems happen both from the .book and from the file manager.

Mairi Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And can you create a new file and save it and open it again?

Can you create a new book with this file?

Do you have all fonts?

When you just installed FM 8 on Windows 10, then I assume that's the issue.

Do you have administrator privileges?

I do not have FM 8. As far as I remember it does not have any files here:

c:\Users\yourname\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Linguistics\

c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\

If yes, you could rename these folders. Then FM will recreate these folders. Sometimes this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried changing a file from .fm to .mif (in the file manager) but the same error happens.  It also happens when I change it back to .fm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIF is an text representation of a FrameMaker file.

All formatting and all text is converted to a text file with tags.

Therefore it does not help, when you just change the file name extension.

Can you answer the questions above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can create a new book, but the problem re-occurs as soon as I add chapter files to it.

Yes, all fonts are installed.

Yes, I do.

I have this and I've renamed it, but it didn't solve the problem.

I don't have this folder at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: We had to move to Windows 10 recently,

Well, your IT people caused this problem, so they need to fix it.

Two obvious routes are:
1. Upgrade to an FM version supported on Win10.
2. Install an older Windows in a virtual machine on Win10. Run FM8 on that.

I use FM7 under Windows XP in a VM (on a Win7/64P host), and it runs fine. The "XP Mode" VM I use, however, is itself not supported by Microsoft on Win10, so some other VM would be needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also what i was going to suggest.  We used Frame 8 on a VM 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting the program to run in Compatibility for an earlier version of Windows in which it worked? Right click on the executable, click Properties, click Compatibility, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, then select the latest version of Windows it run on for you. I think Microsoft allows back to Windows Vista these days.You might also want to check the options under the Change high DPI settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion, but that didn't work either

I set it to compatibility with Windows 7, and worked through the steps in the Compatibility popup that appeared automatically when FrameMaker shut down.  Unfortunately no change.

I've also opened a problem on the Windows 10 problem page.  I'll update with any progress.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure Adobe will provide support for Frame 8 on Windows 10; however, I am not an Adobe employee and I do not have information on their official support policy. That's an old, old version (7 releases and 12 years, now), and what little I've learned about it is that getting it to run on Windows 10 can be a matter of luck. Even so, you might try Windows Vista instead of Windows 7 and see if that works.

It is a bit odd that it worked Friday and not today. Did you check your Windows upgrades history to see if something installed since Friday? Microsoft has a bit of a history with Adobe products getting flakey after a Windows update because something changed in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, he did confirm that FrameMaker 8 is not tested and certified to run on Windows 10.

He's going to send me a workaround involving mif files, but in the meantime he said to create new book files and add all the fm files back in and start from scratch, to see if that works.

He also suggested downloading and evaluating the 30-day free trial of FrameMaker 2019.

I'll look into the Windows Updates too, just in case it was that that caused the problem.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines