I'm converting legacy docs to DITA. The conversion process is failing when there are multiple flows in a document. Even though I tried to set all the flows to the same flow using the menus in Framemaker, during the conversion process some rogues flows turn up. Many of the flows are often quite tricky to find.
Is there a script to set any all flows in a document to the same flow?
Each text frame has a flow, even if it is unnamed (like text frames for master page items). You can't make all of the flows "the same" unless the text frames are all connected to each other. Even if multiple flows have the same name, they are considered separate for each text frame, except those that are connected. For connected text frames, all of the frames connected to each other have a single flow.
(Sorry I'm quite new to this field)
Thanks for your information.
Is it possible then to script a command that could connect all text frames in a document? That might ensure they are all in the same flow.
It's not possible to connect all of the text frames in the document together. One suggestion is to try this:
1) Select the highest level element in the document and cut it to the clipboard.
2) Delete all of the body pages in the document, except the first.
3) Put your cursor in the first body page's text frame and paste the text that you cut in step 1.
The text will flow into the document, creating as many pages as needed. Since these pages will be created from default master pages, you shouldn't get any additional flows.
Rick, I don't think the problem is unused disconnected flows. It is multiple flows with unstructured content in the original, which have to be combined into a single structured document via conversion.
I did have this situation in the past. There are two ways of making this work:
1) Using scripting, the contents from all secondary flows can be copied into the main flow, after which the secondary flows can be discarded and the single flow converted.
2) Start with the original document that has the differently named flows. Create a new document and use the text inset method to import all flows from the original document in the new document as text insets. Either convert to text when importing the text insets or comvert all text insets to text after importing (and possibly rearranging) all of them, Then run the conversion.
If you need scripting for this, contact me via jang at jang dot nl. I am not creating the script for free, as I need to make a living, but it is not going to break the bank, either.