Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting a custom PDF title bar and bookmark title from a generic map

Participant ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using FrameMaker 16.0.2 with DITA 1.3

We have maps that are filtered for various products. The product-specific cover page content is stored in the prodname element of the ditamap. The title element is a generic "Operator's Guide" and we want the product-specific information to appear as the title page bookmark in the PDF, we also want the product-specific information to appear in the PDF title bar.

For example, the operator's guide map is used for a series of products. The map metadata includes a series of prodinfo elements to record the system name. The map title is Operator's Guide. On our cover page, the prodname element is used for the main title. The map title (Operator's Guide) is used as a secondary title on the cover. See the attached image.

Currently, we are manually altering the PDF title in the rendered document as they all appear as Operator's Guide. We want them to display the full title and prodname element contents.

Is there any way, for example, to use XMP files during the rendering from DITA to PDF?

Thanks,

Wanda

TOPICS
PDF output , Publishing , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

With the 16.0.4 release, the title bar now displays the information I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a text frame with such info on my title pages. The text is white and 2 pt, so it's unlikely that someone inadvertently selects this text. The paragraph format is in the bookmark paragraphs list.

Although this is unstructured FrameMaker, I expect that this works also in structured FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winefred,

I added a text frame with the variables for product and chapter title (which, oddly, picks up the book title). With some juggling, I got this to appear correctly as the top-level bookmark in the PDF. This doesn't do anything with the title bar contents. So, I still would have to open every PDF and manually change the title for the title bar.

I've submitted a request for this capability in FrameMaker. It's issue # FRMAKER-10403.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you add the appropriate variables to the title bar? Then you can import this layout change to all other template files.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Are you talking about the variables in FM or in Acrobat?

In the PDF I can set the title bar to display either the document title or the filename. The FM to PDF process picks up the custom variables and includes them as custom properties. I can define my own in the FM source, but I can't reuse pre-defined properties such as the Title property.

What I'm looking for is a way for FM to take the variables and elements involved and convert them into the document name in the PDF output. That way, I think, I can display this concatenated content as both the cover page bookmark and the document title in the title bar of the PDF.

Thanks,

Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wanda,

Did you get a solution for this?

Thanks

Surendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've resolved the bookmark issue, but I still have no way to automatically
generate the PDF title displayed in the title bar. We have a manual step in
which someone goes in and sets the title in the title bar.

Wanda Phillips

WriteLivelihood

778-535-5448

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With the 16.0.4 release, the title bar now displays the information I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines