Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes I cannot open a DITA file from the DITAMAP

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 2020 (16.0.1). Dita 1.3

I have yet to figure out what the exact workflow is that causes this problem, but occasionally my system will get into a state such that when I right-click on a DITA file in the DITAMAP, the <open> option is disabled. I need to re-start Framemaker to fix the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

TOPICS
Error , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you experience this after you start FrameMaker or when you already had used FrameMaker for some time?

All files or only specific ones?

I have a similar problem, although I use regular non-structured files. Sometimes in some files most of the menu items are greyed out. When I close and open the file again, everything is fine. This happens maybe once a week. I created a report in the Adobe Tracker:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9686

I do not know, if this is related to your issue.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Winfried,

This error occurs during usage. Things will be behaving correctly, I will be opening/closing/editing files, and then suddenly I cannot open some of the DITA files. I think (but will have to confirm next time that it happens) that it typically affects most of the DITA files in the open DITAMAP, but not all of them.

I am unsure what happens if I close the DITAMAP and re-open it without re-starting FM.

I am unsure if only the right-click context menu Open open is disabled - I will have to check if the main menu items are also disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague just experienced the same bug, and we were able to confirm the following:

• This issue happens randomly, during normal use.
  • The main menu-bar items are not disabled
  • Closing the DITAMAP and re-opening does not fix the problem
  • Closing and re-starting FM does fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian16B7 
Right-click <open> option in the DITAMAP gets disabled as soon as you open that file from the repository and the <close > option gets enabled.
This is expected behavior.

I am attaching a small screen video for more understanding 
Does your <open > option gets disabled even before opening the file ??
It would be great if you can  post a small screen video  or mail it to Adobe whenever you face this issue 

-Pulkit Nagpal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Pulkit,

Sorry for being unclear. I am not trying to open a DITA file that it is already open - I am trying to open a DITA file that is not open. 

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Pulkit,

This error happened again, and so I took a number of screenshots. When it happened, there were a few files open, but as I mentioned before, the problem was in trying to open files that were NOT already open. I then closed all of the open DITA files and confirmed that the problem still existed - in particular I noticed that closing the already-open files had no effect on which files I was unable to open. You can see in the attached screenshots that in the Files Open panel, there are no files other than the DITAMAP open. I then right-clicked on 5 different files in the map: 3 had the Open option enabled, and 2 had the Open option disabled.

A new observation (which I had not noticed before), is that for the two files that have the Open option disabled, you can see that that Close option is enabled.

Once again, I tried closing and re-opening the DITA MAP, and confirmed that the problem is NOT fixed by this action. I then re-started FM, and again confirmed that the problem IS fixed by this action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian16B7 ,

Is this coming on your system or experienced by your other colleagues as well? 
Anyway, you can log a ticket on  "https://tracker.adobe.com/", Will be prioritized accordingly.

Thanks
Pulkit Nagpal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this issue occurs only randomly, I am pretty sure that it is related to mine.

@pulkitn  , when you check Ian's issue, please check also mine.

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9686

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines