• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes not all variables in a document update as expected

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might have to do with having conditional text with the variable hidden, the variable definition changed, and then the conditional text exposed. Even if I run Update References, the variables can remain unchanged. In such cases, I have to go through the document and manually update the problem variables. This runs counter to the usefulness of variables, of course, especially if you have a lot of them. Any ideas/suggestions?

FrameMaker 13.0.3.495

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I haven't had that experience with variables and conditional text. When I update a variable with hidden condition tags, and then show those hidden tags, they show the updated definition.

On a separate note, I'm not sure what Update References has to do it. There's no variables command in there...

VMware Fusionss_002.png

Can you document your process—maybe show two variables on the same page where one updates and the other doesn't? Let's see if we can figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't have any to show right now (all already manually corrected). I'm thinking about this as a workaround: Put the file in a book, have my variables in a separate empty file in the book, and import variables from the empty file as needed (e.g., prior to any publication). Ugly, but it just might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if the variables aren't updating normally in the one file, will they update this way? I wouldn't think so, but you'd have to try.

While we know any software application has bugs, this is not one I've come across in FrameMaker, and as you said, it runs counter to the usefulness of variables, so it would be a big deal.

I'm guessing that there's an error in the process somewhere, but I can't help you find it if I can't see it in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is an example (done with a stale version of the same file). I change 4.11.6 for the variable to 4.11.7, update the variable definition, and the old definition in the doc remains, but only in the conditional text that was hidden (and then set to show):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance the stale variable instances are actually Xrefs to actual variable instances, and didn't get updated for lack of an Update Cross References?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reasonable question, but no. If I double click the instance, it goes right to the variable definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bruce:

Thanks for the screen shots. Is the blue redacted info? Why did the variable background change from green to gray? Is green the highlight color for Windows? (Just trying to get my bearings.)

So try this:

1. Close the Variables pod.
  2. Show all condition tags.
  3. Double click 4.11.6 on the bullet you showed. Did the variables Pod open and highlight AMM Version?
  4. Click the gray pencil and change the number and click Update. Did that variable update?

Then try this again, but hide that yellowish condition. Edit the variable definition, then click Update and show all condition tags. Did it fail to update this time?

I'm able to successfully update variable definitions, whether or not the condition tag is set to Show. If you can't, you can file a bug report here: Tracker.​

BTW, I'm happy to look at the file, but based on the redaction and close cropping, I'm assuming you won't feel comfortable sharing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarbBinder:

Sorry, I still need to try your checks; just haven't had time yet.

Thanks!

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Bruce, since you're working with AMM, do you have a structured or unstructured doc?

Also, do you have any "extras" in play to allow database access or easier editing of content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt:

Yes, I'm using Structured FrameMaker (to help define and manage Workspaces, one of the advantages of using Structured). FrameMaker specific extras: Paragraph Tools and Index Tools Pro. I also use Launch-n-Go for text macros (not just for FrameMaker). I should mention that this one document is where I encounter the issue (no others to date), and it is loaded with both variables and conditional text. I can't help wondering if I'm overdriving the Model T!

Thanks,

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using Structured FrameMaker

Hey Bruce—you posted your inquiry in the unstructured forum. I'll move over to the correct one for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem in an unstructured document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you opened a thread in the standard Fm forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, do I need to create a copy of this thread there? This problem seems to occur in both versions of FM; is there a forum for that? Can this tread be moved there.

Most of all I’m informing Adobe so that they can fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ToEr:

Most of all I’m informing Adobe so that they can fix this bug.

In that case, please post it here: Tracker so that the FrameMaker engineering team will see it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

You may find that your EDD contains the variable definitions, and that you can modify them in the EDD.

One note: Modifying the EDD may result in changes necessary to the DTD as well.

Also, conditional text is often managed by attributes in structured docs. Is this the case in your docs?

By the way, I don't know that you gain any Workspace advantages with structured docs vs. unstructured docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines