• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space in para style name on ref page - TOC

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two different para styles that show up in different section titles depending on the length of the text. I can't change the length of the text, because the titles are existing and the FDA doesn't like it when you just go changing things willy nilly.

So on the reference page the line reads like this:

Section <$volnum> – <$paratext[SectionTitle]><$paratext[SectionTitle 2-Line]>

However, in the TOC the SectionTitle is showing up twice and the SectionTitle 2-Line not at all. This tactic does work in the chapter headers. But I have a sinking feeling it is that pesky little space before the 2.

Can I replace it with a %20 or something Windows-y like that to make it work?? (Please say yes. Please say yes.)

Happy Monday everyone.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Hey Diane:

I tried it without the space and had the same result. But why not just go back to the TOC in the book window > Set Up Table of Contents and add SectionTitle 2-Line to the list? The tags are called in chronologically, and then just format SectionTitle 2-LineTOC to look like SectionTitleTOC. That should take care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried an underscore "_" instead of a space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32 files that already have the style name with the space, and we are very close to releasing this version and I don't want to have to manually change all those files unless there is no other way. But thank you for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Diane:

I tried it without the space and had the same result. But why not just go back to the TOC in the book window > Set Up Table of Contents and add SectionTitle 2-Line to the list? The tags are called in chronologically, and then just format SectionTitle 2-LineTOC to look like SectionTitleTOC. That should take care of it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane,

Are you building your TOC using FM's table-of-contents mechanism, or manually with cross-references? You refer to the reference page which suggests the former. However, as far as I know (and I just tested it in both FM 12 and FM 2017), paragraph tags in square brackets are ignored in TOC  reference page. Thus, unless I set up my tests incorrectly, <$paratext[SectionTitle]> is treated exactly as is <$paratext>.

Furthermore if only some of your sections have multi-line titles, I doubt this mechanism would work anyway. If a one-line title uses paragraph format SectionTitle and the first line of a two-line title also uses SectionTitle, then you'd want TOC entries for paragraphs tagged SectionTitle and paragraphs tagged SectionTitle 2-Line. the problem is that you'd want to treat SectionTitles that immediately  precede Setion TItle 2-Lines.

However, if you are building your TOCs with cross-references, then you can use cross-reference formats such as Section <$volnum> – <$paratext[SectionTitle]><$paratext[SectionTitle 2-Line]> and the space in [SectionTitle 2-Line] will not cause problems.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne,

The format I'm using does work.

What I was missing was:

1. going back into TOC setup to include the SectionTitle 2-Line to the TOC (duh)

2. I needed to add a separate line on the TOC reference page for the SectionTitle 2-Line, and format and apply the SectionTitle 2-LineTOC to that line. Content of the line similar to the SectionTitle:

<$volnum> – <$paratext[SectionTitle 2-Line]>

Then to make things even easier, the SectionTitle 2-Line paragraph type is mapped to the SectionTitle 2-Line Master Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it working, Diane.

Happy weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines